Silver Bliss Rabbitry

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RABBITGIRLFORTHEWIN

Reaction score
I Love what Secuono is doing with her Not new, but returning! thread and thought I would start my own.

Two litters are due (hopefully)
1. Chestnut is due on the 17th. She will be a first-timer so hopefully, she will do good. Her sister did amazing so we will see. I put the nest box in today (I like to give my does more time to get used to the nest box).
2. Darin is due on the 19th (again, hopefully. She has been cranky!) and is also a first-timer. I will probably put her nest box in on the 16th.
I need to choose who I'm keeping in Mama's litter. They're getting big and I got to start advertising them.

These are old pics of them. So cute!

Attachments

• IMG_8145 (1).jpg
    IMG_8145 (1).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8148.jpg
    IMG_8148.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
Darlin's kits are growing like weeds! She has lots of milk so they always have big bellies. She is a protective mama and is always grouching at me. Chestnut is a sweetheart she is always trying to get me to pet her She is a smaller doe and isn't producing a lot so they aren't growing as fast but they are still growing. I did think about giving Darlin a kit or two but I don't know how she will react. It's still raining!!!!!! I planted some leafy greens for me and the rabbits we will see if they come up.

if you want to foster kits, just plunk them in the nest and cover them with fur. 99% of rabbits will not care in the slightest.

General rules with fostering still in the nestbox (generally less than two weeks old)
- foster the biggest NOT the smallest. you only move the smallest if trying to increase numbers from a small young litter. (so a doe who has less than three kits, take the smallest from the litter closest in age to make a minimum of three).
- do not foster immediately before the doe feeds her kits. you want about a two hour gap (to combat that 1% of does that do mind). Plunk new kit right into the middle of the original kit and cover them with fur. Let them settle well. This way all kits will smell the same.

Fostering older kits (so older kits so 14-21 days). TOTALLY depends on the doe. Some does will accept stranger kits and other does will not. So it's a try and see. I've had success by removing ALL kits from the doe and then adding fosters into the mix into a smallish container so the kits are all rubbing together to get smells on each other. Does that accept other kits easily are gold and you want to keep them around. :) When I hear stories of does with six week old kits who wean that litter and take on a new one from a doe having issue... I WANT THAT DOE! :)

if you want to foster kits, just plunk them in the nest and cover them with fur. 99% of rabbits will not care in the slightest.

General rules with fostering still in the nestbox (generally less than two weeks old)
- foster the biggest NOT the smallest. you only move the smallest if trying to increase numbers from a small young litter. (so a doe who has less than three kits, take the smallest from the litter closest in age to make a minimum of three).
- do not foster immediately before the doe feeds her kits. you want about a two hour gap (to combat that 1% of does that do mind). Plunk new kit right into the middle of the original kit and cover them with fur. Let them settle well. This way all kits will smell the same.

Fostering older kits (so older kits so 14-21 days). TOTALLY depends on the doe. Some does will accept stranger kits and other does will not. So it's a try and see. I've had success by removing ALL kits from the doe and then adding fosters into the mix into a smallish container so the kits are all rubbing together to get smells on each other. Does that accept other kits easily are gold and you want to keep them around. :) When I hear stories of does with six week old kits who wean that litter and take on a new one from a doe having issue... I WANT THAT DOE! :)
I have doe like that she is amazing! It was her first time and I had to foster a couple of kits and she took them like a champ! Thanks.

Latest posts

Back