Show cages/carriers

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philothea

Reaction score
I am looking at need a carrier/cage for my rabbits for a show. What do you suggest? Is there a manufacturer that you prefer or design. I am looking at having the meat breeds (NZ, Cals, American Blues). Just trying to figure out what the best size is. I don't want to get something that will work for them as a junior and then have to get something different when they get to the 6/8 size.

Thanks in advance!

The 10" x 18" size seems to be standard for all but the dwarf or giant breeds.

I would suggest a cage with the wire in a vertical position 2" high x 1" wide. I attended a show yesterday, and as my friend was placing my Beveren buck back into his cage, he stuck his foot through the wire and could easily have broken his leg in his panic.

I have carriers made by both K-W cages and BASS equipment, and one other supplier which is the "problem carrier" mentioned.

The K-W have solid metal dividers, while the BASS has a 1" gap between holes. If your rabbits spray urine, you will want the type with metal dividers. I opted for the BASS carriers with plastic pans, and do not recommend that option. Go with metal pans as the plastic ones become brittle over time.

If you can transport the rabbits to a show in a dog or cat carrier bedded with pelleted pine or other absorbent material, you can buy the carriers at the show. Most and probably all vendors will take pre-orders if you decide beforehand which type you prefer, which will save you shipping charges.

However, pre-ordering just a couple cages is probably not necessary, since they always have a good stock of carriers at the shows I have attended.

Bunnyrabbit.com and Bairrington Equipment are both located in TX and have outstanding carriers. Look them up and give them a shot before you start coughing up a lot of money for shipment.

I can't get a response from Bairrington. I called and the phone just rang and I emailed and no response. I might just do the cat carriers that I have and order from Bunnyrabbit.com and pick up at the show. I am planning on going to the Longview show and at this point I will have a couple of Californians and NZ REW. My other NZ won't make junior weight, unless a major growth spurt happens and my American Blues will just wait till August.

I make all of my own cages, carriers and otherwise, and I like mine to be 16 x 24 x 10" high. I have English lops and this gives them enough room to feel safe and comfortable, but not enough room to cause a lot of ruckus.

I divide them into a three hole carrier, with each hole having 8". I use bottom wire (1/2 x 1) inserted sideways as dividers. This allows plenty of airflow, but no way they can bite each other or even pull fur.

I have someone who can special make pans for me, but I believe you can order them as well. I, too, am unhappy with the plastic pan. When I first got back into rabbits I bought a carrier with the plastic pan. It is much lighter and no issues with it being waterproof, but the middle tends to hump up. I've not had any problems with it being brittle, but it's only a year old. Reminds me of milk jug plastic. I prefer my metal pans.

philothea":1fd0nmuv said:
I can't get a response from Bairrington. I called and the phone just rang and I emailed and no response. I might just do the cat carriers that I have and order from Bunnyrabbit.com and pick up at the show. I am planning on going to the Longview show and at this point I will have a couple of Californians and NZ REW. My other NZ won't make junior weight, unless a major growth spurt happens and my American Blues will just wait till August.

Bunnyrabbit.com was at Longview last year, and I'd expect them to be there this year. They stock a lot of good materials and sell most of it at shows, but get to them early. The later in the day you wait, the more likely they'll be running out of the stuff you would need.

Also, unless you raise lops, resist the urge to buy lop-style carriers. They will eat up a lot of top to bottom space in your vehicle, and while that 2-3" in height may not seem like much, it can ultimately limit the number of rabbits and carriers which will fit into your vehicle compartment. It is an annoying thing to deal with when you're trying to load up for a show.

SatinsRule":g6mzugds said:
unless you raise lops, resist the urge to buy lop-style carriers.

Lop style carriers? I didn't realize there was such a thing. Why are they taller?

MamaSheepdog":38kcclz9 said:
SatinsRule":38kcclz9 said:
unless you raise lops, resist the urge to buy lop-style carriers.

Lop style carriers? I didn't realize there was such a thing. Why are they taller?

Yes, they're typically about 2-3 inches higher to accommodate the higher backs on breeds like Mini Lops and French lops. Not really any wider or longer. Stacking these type carriers can turn into a departure day nightmare, too, and they're unnecessary for commercial rabbits like Satins, Cals, Pals, New Zealands, etc.

Until a week ago, I had 4 of them and sold them to a woman whose daughter raises mini lops. They're perfect for what she will use them for, but were becoming increasingly annoying for me to deal with.

If I decide to get from Bunnyrabbit.com I would just order them to be delivered at the show. They will be at Longview (at least that show is on their list.)
What height is the "lop cages' I don't usually see that advertised, just dimensions of cages.

The occupied portion of the compartments (the part the rabbit actually sits in, and not including the 1-2 inches below the compartment in the drip pans) on the typical commercial breed carrier that I prefer to use is 8-9" high. The "Lop-style" carriers tend to be about 2-3" higher in the occupied compartments. Again, it may not sound like much, at least until you go to loading carriers into your vehicle in the wee hours of the morning and realize they won't quite fit.

SatinsRule":173erf2w said:
The occupied portion of the compartments (the part the rabbit actually sits in, and not including the 1-2 inches below the compartment in the drip pans) on the typical commercial breed carrier that I prefer to use is 8-9" high. The "Lop-style" carriers tend to be about 2-3" higher in the occupied compartments. Again, it may not sound like much, at least until you go to loading carriers into your vehicle in the wee hours of the morning and realize they won't quite fit.

I understand, I have angora carriers, and they are built for English and all that wool, so they are at least 3-4 inches taller than my regular carriers.

philothea":3cmu5xpx said:
I am looking at need a carrier/cage for my rabbits for a show. What do you suggest? Is there a manufacturer that you prefer or design. I am looking at having the meat breeds (NZ, Cals, American Blues). Just trying to figure out what the best size is. I don't want to get something that will work for them as a junior and then have to get something different when they get to the 6/8 size.

Thanks in advance!

I personally like what KW Cages carries. I have quite a few of their carry cages and also a few of their stacker cages. I love the way they design their cages and how durable their cages are!

~SDR

Latest posts

Back