Should I buy...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dood":3d4qzgby said:
IMHO the Netherland Dwarf, Hollands and now apparently Jersey Woolies, are the English Bulldogs of the rabbit world and it won't be long before does need to have Caesarian sections to get live kits.

Where did you get this belief from? Maybe some breeders will allow for that much difficulty, but I won't. All of my does have never had any trouble giving birth, milk production needs to be worked on but other than that... I pick and choose does that have good mothering ability and produce viable kits. All the while they must have a decent temperament, they may not be love bugs but they have to tolerate handling. I probably will build brood stock on BUDs and larger True Dwarfs. Heck, all of my does are linger from 2 1/2 lbs. to 3. I certainly don't have a size issue. :roll:

HoppinHalfPints":1i4agtvf said:
Dood":1i4agtvf said:
IMHO the Netherland Dwarf, Hollands and now apparently Jersey Woolies, are the English Bulldogs of the rabbit world and it won't be long before does need to have Caesarian sections to get live kits.
Where did you get this belief from?
I bred Netherlands for 8 years in my youth and worked full time as a vet tech for 9 years and the VAST majority of rabbits with birthing issues were dwarf carriers :(

Maybe some breeders will allow for that much difficulty, but I won't.
In my experience you are in the minority.

Of course there are some dwarf bloodlines that don't have the issues I mentioned, just like some bloodlines of non-dwarfs will have similar problems, also there are dangers possible in any pregnancy but why add to the risk and produce babies you know will die when you don't have to?

I am not impressed with the modern ND and HL that are winning on the show table and I am very sad about the direction my beloved breed has gone in the last 20 years and wish ARBA was following the example of European rabbit clubs that are slowly working to ban dwarf carriers :cheer1:

I still rescue dwarfs and share my home with a 3lb Netherland "BUD" :mrgreen: but I vehemently oppose breeding dwarfs on the peanut issue alone.

Left at 1 this afternoon and arrived back at nine...but well worth it, I now have two pretty does! Now I just need to find a nice buck ^_^

:mrgreen: Sorry for :hijacked:

Since the does are bred, why don't you keep back a male kit :shrug: that way you don't need to have a rabbit in quarantine and potentially expose your pregnant does or young kits to pathogens :)

Actually being in the Jersey Wooly breed now, and having just sold my hollands just last year, I am aware of current trends.

I see the exact opposite of what you see.

It DOESN"T take a true dwarf to win at shows, false dwarfs can be at the right weight and ear length.

No one likes peanuts. They are non productive, and why increases the wear on your doe to have litters when most are peanuts. That is a backwards way of breeding. Less kits means less show prospects.

It's not rocket science to use BUDS, any GOOD show breeder will tell you that to reduce the risk of peanuts.

I got litters of 5-7 for the hollands and 6-8 for the woolies. And it's not a freak, this is typical of the bloodlines I have, and one of the most prevalent bloodlines in the East. This has become the trend.

And at the moment, they are the healthiest, most productive breed in the barn. Far surpassing the three commercial meat breeds in fertility and disease resistance. The only rabbits who did not die in the cocci plague- Jersey Woolies.

I haven't had peanuts in my hollands or JWs of yet. I've been breeding mother to son in most of my breedings. Since I removed bigger ones with longer ears, I'm getting smaller rabbits(more compact) with shorter ears, but not peanuts.

The breeders where the lines came out of haven't had any either. Matter of fact, I hear of them few and in between, and breeders say- stay away from those lines they produce a lot of peanuts. They even tell people not to breed pair that produce them to each other.

Perhaps they are not as prevalent as you believe.

And those who want to win at any cost are actually in the minority. They tend to stand out more because they are the ones coming in with problems, that doesn't account for the many who do not have any problems that you never hear about.

That's why I don't like over arching all encompassing stereotypes. Psychology tells us we are more quick to believe the bad than the good. And once we fix those judgements they are hard to let go. There are WAY too many good breeders out there to condemn a whole breed based on some bad things popping up.

Sorry, you can't condemn a whole country of breeders based on what you saw 7, 5, or even two years ago, especially if you aren't here now, on the show table now, or looking in peoples barns.

And from what you've learned about me, if there was something to this conspiracy to continue to breed maladjusted deformed rabbits just to win, do you really think I'd over look that and stay in the breed?

Will post more pictures soon...

In the meantime...

Yes or no? Two and a half year old buck, has been the stable herd buck but the breeder wants to replace him with his son. I am looking for a blue self or otter buck to help start my herd, would this be a good pick?
2n0v51g.jpg

Wow. *drool*

Head is okay, ears are really short and open. Nice eye, short body, good headset. Can't tell about the shoulders. Since he was a herd buck, and is proven, I would get him to go with your does. You have a really nice starting platform!

Latest posts

Back