Sex vent disease in rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoAcreDream

Reaction score
I had to do a lot of research to bring me up to speed on this topic. Something I was not aware of till I got a ND dwarf female this spring, with full disclosure and I bought her thinking I could save her. Well I ended up having her put down. Not the best result for her, but what I had tried was not working. I did not take her to a vet.
Fast forward to last month, when I bred 2 nice Dutch does to a gray Dutch buck I had bought recently. I did not check his privates. Then, I had a chance to sell the buck and I did. I was trimming his nails and looked at his private parts and was shocked to see he had a vent disease. I gave full disclosure to the buyer and they still wanted him, and knew they had to get him treated. So now I have 2 does pregnant by this buck. The one doe is due in 4 days. Plan is to give penicillin to her. Is it safe to do this while the babies are not born yet ? If I wait till babies are born, then I have to get the babies treated also ? Or would they get the antbiotics in the mothers milk ? The other doe is 10 days away yet from kindling. The first doe is looking like she has what I call small wormy things on her privates. No other signs are present. The second doe shows no signs yet.
Is a vet a good idea to check this out ? I have a friend who can help me with the shots. So is it 3 days of shots, and then wait a week, and repeat.
For 3 weeks, correct ? Please correct me if any of my info is wrong. Thank you. These 2 does are both excellent moms, have nice litters and take care of the babes. I don't want to lose them.

I treat using this; Pen G long lasting at 0.10 cc PER pound of measured body weight. Most say a 20/18 g needle but I do just fine with 22. Must be measured and given accurately or will not work. I pull the skin up easily at base of neck and carefully give just under skin. It can be helpful to have some one restrain if not used to doing it yourself and understand that some times it does burn and pinch so the rabbit may kick or some thing else. I treat three days, wait a week from the last shot and give another (then again for 2 more weeks after that for a total of 4 rounds of shots, 3 the first round and 1 per week for next 3 weeks) when I run into it. I also bleach/scrub the cages/equipment they come into contact with after each treatment. All the kids born will need to be treated in the same manner. I have never had an issue giving does preggers Pen G, but that is not to say that they will not for 100% certainty. If I treat once and it comes back in 30 days (ones that are treated are quarantined for 30 days after last treatment), I chalk it up to being MORE than vent and terminally cull. There are some rabbits, that unfortunately I have decided were better off not trying to treat and to terminally cull as well...

Please consider doing some thing differently. Not selling any thing that is not 100% healthy. I do not suggest selling sick stock, to any one for any reason, even if they are OK with it. They may sell the sick stock to others with out bothering to tell them and your name can get muddled into that mess. There are enough problems out there without not meaning to add or perpetuate issues :(

Are they actually worms or maggots? If it is maggots, you need to clean her asap. Fly strike is not the same as vent. Or if a case of worms, completely different too.

Thanks for the reply.

I did stop at a vet place today and ask questions. Hoping to hear back from them tomorrow.
The person I needed to talk to was not in today. They don't have a lot of background on rabbits.
They have been our vet for our dogs for quite a few years. The vet tech said maybe to get some
info from Cornell Vet college which is just under 1 hour from me. If the local
vet can help me, I will take the rabbit in this week and get a positive id, what the problem is.
What I am seeing is like little worms poking out from the skin around the private parts.
It is under the skin, like a skinny pimple sticking out.

I know what a fly strike is. Had one this year and I saved that rabbit. She is now my house
bunny and went through a lot. Had loose stools and all but lost her. Had to feed her 24/7 with a
eye dropper for over a week.

The only 2 possible rabbits with problems now, I have is the 2 dutch females. If I do save them,
they will never be sold. They will stay here as pets if need be.

The teenage gal who sold me the gray male, I called her and told her what I was working with.
She kept saying she was sorry. She had no clue the rabbit had a problem. I barely caught the problem
myself . But I wanted her to know for future knowledge.

I should have a positive id on this shortly. Both females will be seeing a vet.
If the first female is positive for a problem, the second female will get treated also even if no symptoms.
Thank goodness, I only used the 1 buck. Sometimes I use my backup buck also. This time no.

I really don't like talking about this. But shoving it under the rug and being quiet about it, does
not solve problems. It needs to be addressed so more people are knowledgeable.

Hmm not sure what meant by shoving under the rug, but going to find VD in some areas is quite common and as far as issue in rabbits overall pretty common (not that it runs rampant just that its a wide spread issue and not some thing to hush on); not all will care nor want to care how they take care of their stock as long as the cute babies look healthy and sell quickly (happens more in my area towards spring but have seen it this time of year too, usually more at live stock auctions or those selling "cheap" "pures").

Sadly that happens, least you did call her and let her know (kudos). We only learn if we get the opportunity to do so and take it.

Transmission of vent disease in the vast majority of cases is through breeding. However it is possible to contract the disease through normal contact. - See more at: http://www.raising-rabbits.com/rabbit-s ... u6ngA.dpuf

If the rabbit has had contact with other rabbits, adjacent cages etc. You may need keep on eye on them and be prepared to treat.

Okay, both rabbits went to the vet this afternoon.
It is NOT a vent disease.
He took scrapings from both and both have bacteria on their vulva.
I have a medicine to use on them externally. If they lick it, it won't hurt them.
If the medicine does not solve the problem, they go back for another visit, and
he will put them on antibiotics.
If I was just a regular pet owner, then the problem probably would not have been noticed.
This is what the vet told me. But, because I breed these animals, I look at their private parts
more often and I was able to catch this early.
I no longer have the buck the 2 does were bred to, he was sold. But from my description,
the vet said he did not think the buck had a sex disease. But I will call the new owner and
talk it over with him, in case he does want to have him checked out.

Latest posts

Back