Separated from birth

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there is no hard fast rule - but with my showing bunnies I separate when I wean from Mom at 8-10 weeks, but my meat rabbits I don't worry with separating unless I plan on keeping them longer than 12 weeks. 12 weeks is my personal must separate age, I've had does ready to breed by 16 weeks and I also don't want too many oopsies!

Wheels":2zojcv0y said:
there is no hard fast rule - but with my showing bunnies I separate when I wean from Mom at 8-10 weeks, but my meat rabbits I don't worry with separating unless I plan on keeping them longer than 12 weeks. 12 weeks is my personal must separate age, I've had does ready to breed by 16 weeks and I also don't want too many oopsies!

Ok cool thanks! I just finished getting my new hutch all situated, it's all ss and cypress, I'm about to transplant my rabbits and I was just figuring up their living quarters. It's a total of 12'x5' area about 4.5' off the ground and a 7' high roof. Dividing it into 6 sections. At least for now :p

The youngest I have had a Rex get pregnant (one of those "oopsies!") was at around 4-1/2 to 5 months old- I can't really remember now. But smaller breeds supposedly mature faster and there have been pregnancies as early as 8 weeks (so 12 weeks at kindling), but that is pretty rare. Some commercial meat rabbits are also selected for early readiness and may be receptive at around 4 to 4-1/2 months.

Diet also seems to play a part- pellet fed rabbits seem to mature faster. MaggieJ and some of our other members don't feed pellets at all, feeding hay, weeds and greens, and a bit of grain instead. The rabbits mature slower growth wise, so Maggie often butchers at 12-14 weeks and has seen no evidence of pregnancy at that age.

I separate by 12 weeks. It all depends on your lines. I think mix breeds might actually mature faster than some purebreds meat lines. Something like...some purebred lines have been selected for putting their energy into growth instead of sexual reproduction.

I have had 16 week old meat mutt does become accidentally pregnant from their siblings.

Yep, that should do it.

We had a litter stay around a little longer than usual because of circumstances, and they started breeding at 15 weeks.

Back