Sellers remorse?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6riversfarms

Reaction score
I am having some after selling a certain 1yr old doe yesterday. I got a great price for her as well as another year old doe and a young buck from some nice folks for breeding stock. I really wanted her genes better represented in my herd but making sales is what keeps the rabbitry able to operate. This is the first time I have had sellers remorse and I have sold a lot of rabbits the last couple years.

Anyone else ever have a case?

Yes!!

But not over lost genetics, usually when I find out I've been snowballed by a buyer who misrepresented themselves and I fear for the health and safety of the rabbit :(

I've never felt good after letting anyone with toddler aged children walk away with a rabbit.

I had a man who wanted pets for his kids call me back, tell me he killed one with neglect, and can he please have another, at discount price? I told him not to ever call me again.

I had a teen who wanted one, she posted it in the classifieds free a week later.

Basically, I don't feel good about selling pets.

I've learned not to let any rabbits go that I couldn't stand to eat. Just one of those things, if you're having a hard time making it with sales you can make easily you might want to rethink your breeding program and selling approach. I had to do that, saved me a great deal of head ache.

I sold a very nice show doe to someone, and when I emailed to check on her found out she hadn't been eating. There were no other symptoms, so I asked about her water source. It turns out she didn't know how to use the valve (she had been on a crock while in the growout area) and was severely dehydrated, and already going into GI stasis. Despite the efforts of the new owner to force fluids and a feed slurry per my recommendations, she didn't make it.

I feel partly to blame for not telling the owner what type of water system she was on, but also very disappointed because the buyer has been breeding and showing rabbits for quite some time... and I would expect that an experienced rabbit raiser would know to check water consumption first off when an animal goes off feed.

MamaSheepdog":2mjkfkzk said:
I sold a very nice show doe to someone, and when I emailed to check on her found out she hadn't been eating. There were no other symptoms, so I asked about her water source. It turns out she didn't know how to use the valve (she had been on a crock while in the growout area) and was severely dehydrated, and already going into GI stasis. Despite the efforts of the new owner to force fluids and a feed slurry per my recommendations, she didn't make it.

I feel partly to blame for not telling the owner what type of water system she was on, but also very disappointed because the buyer has been breeding and showing rabbits for quite some time... and I would expect that an experienced rabbit raiser would know to check water consumption first off when an animal goes off feed.

I had one rabbit that never figured out the water valve. My last 3 Polish that I purchased didn't know how to use it but the buck and young doe transitioned over nicely, but I couldn't get the blue one to drink out of it until I added molasses to the valve.

I agree. It hurts like heck to even THINK about selling our pets. My wife sometimes says "Well we should get rid of this one, or that one, so that we have more cage space". Are you kidding?

My solution........... More cages!!! :D :D

I have Craigslist notifications to tell me when cages are available, and I even have a "Wanted" on CL for the same........... Problem solved! :lol: :lol:

6riversfarms":1342l4be said:
I am having some after selling a certain 1yr old doe yesterday. I got a great price for her as well as another year old doe and a young buck from some nice folks for breeding stock. I really wanted her genes better represented in my herd but making sales is what keeps the rabbitry able to operate. This is the first time I have had sellers remorse and I have sold a lot of rabbits the last couple years.

Anyone else ever have a case?

What were the bloodlines, Six?

grumpy.

I don't sell pets period and I always tell buyers that if they find they dont like a rabbit I sold them or dont want a rabbit I have sold them anymore or whatever the issue is that I will refund the purchase price and come get the rabbit.

The folks that bought the doe in question knew rabbits. They went straight to my best stock and started offering good money. It is hard to turn it down when feed needs buying, need equipment for the rabbits, sheep, and chickens, and I am offered 3 to 5 times what I get for fryers. Breeding stock is where I make most of the money in my rabbitry lately so I am not complaining... I just made a mistake and sold a doe that I was looking forward to working with. Guess I need to suck it up and get used to it. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:49 pm __________ <br /><br /> Grumpy, she was a daughter to the doe and buck I got from you. I got 30 dollars for her... which aint bad for unpedigreed commercial stock. I have four of her sisters, 3 of her daughters, one of her sons, and still have her dam Missouri (the doe from you), so it's not really like her genes won't be well represented in the herd. Guess I am just getting soft in my old age lol.

When it comes down to it the rabbitry is about money and anyone who operates a small farm for profit knows how tight cash flow can be.

6riversfarms":vhrj6szl said:
I don't sell pets period and I always tell buyers that if they find they dont like a rabbit I sold them or dont want a rabbit I have sold them anymore or whatever the issue is that I will refund the purchase price and come get the rabbit.

The folks that bought the doe in question knew rabbits. They went straight to my best stock and started offering good money. It is hard to turn it down when feed needs buying, need equipment for the rabbits, sheep, and chickens, and I am offered 3 to 5 times what I get for fryers. Breeding stock is where I make most of the money in my rabbitry lately so I am not complaining... I just made a mistake and sold a doe that I was looking forward to working with. Guess I need to suck it up and get used to it.

__________ Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:49 pm __________

Grumpy, she was a daughter to the doe and buck I got from you. I got 30 dollars for her... which aint bad for unpedigreed commercial stock. I have four of her sisters, 3 of her daughters, one of her sons, and still have her dam Missouri (the doe from you), so it's not really like her genes won't be well represented in the herd. Guess I am just getting soft in my old age lol.

When it comes down to it the rabbitry is about money and anyone who operates a small farm for profit knows how tight cash flow can be.

LOL. Don't take it wrong, but I'm kinda "happy" you're feelin' bad. :x :x

It tells me that the stock you took home made a positive impact on your herd.
AND.....you've seen what just "one-single-doe" can do for a rabbitry. You've
got plenty of good genetics left in the related group, so I wouldn't worry too
much. Besides............those other folks now have an opportunity to "build"
on what they bought from you. There's not enough good rabbits out there.
You know that from experience.

It's been a couple of years since you took the pair home with you, hasn't it?
It looks like they're holding their own, except for the buck. And I'm sorry about
that, I should have looked more closely. That's only the second one out of
literally hundreds of rabbits that "bad-teeth" has shown itself.

I'm still breeding from that same group that produced the doe you took home.
It's pretty good stuff. If you're ever anywhere close, STOP-BY!! I'll send a
dandy buck home with you to match up with the does you've got now.
You're right Thirty-bucks is a helluva good price for a commercial young doe.
How much would it take to buy the "old-doe" from you?? LOL :D

Happy they worked out for you, Six.

Grumpy.

Latest posts

Back