Satins. Are they a good breed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lopsided

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am thinking of purchasing a few Satin rabbits. Due to their weight, I think they would be good meat rabbits later down the road. Due to their nice fur, I think they would produce very good furs. This way I can maximize the use I get out of a rabbit. Overall, how is their breed? Would they be a good starting breed? Do they produce nice meat? I was also curious about what the texture of their fur feels like, because I will most likely make some sort of blanket out of the furs they produce. I realize that they need large cages. Should 30x36" be enough? Or should I custom make the size of cage? Thank you!

Satins are a GREAT Breed!
Of course I may be just a tiny bit biased. :twisted:
I have a few Bucks and Does for sale if you are anywhere near upstate N.Y.
I have had Satins since 1989. They are an excellent Meat Pet or Show Rabbit.
30X36X18 is fine for Does, you could go a bit smaller for Bucks.
My cages are 24X 36 for Does and 24X 30 for Bucks. [Because I have short arms]
It makes it easier to remove them from their cages when you must.
Please tour my website for some great info. Crescentvalley.webs.com
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I raise mini satins, but have a lot of friends with satins. Minis or standards are great for meat, come in all kinds of colors and the fur is amazing. Some people describe it as silky, almost like silicone feeling but not at all greasy. You have to feel it to believe it! (Guess I'm a little prejudiced too) Most of the people I've met in this breed have been very friendly and helpful. I will say, just as in any breed, there are some breeders that don't breed for temperament so be picky about that.

Syberchick70":18fhq354 said:
Overeating - I was curious to see your bunnies and never did find them on your website. :oops:

The pictures are right there on the first page when you get there.
you have to give it a few seconds to load.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

They must not show up on the mobile site. I've only seen one picture under the breed standard page. I guess that's good for you too know.

Thank you everyone! I will seriously consider getting this breed. Sorry ottersatin, unfortunately I am not located near NY :(

I really love my Satins. Keeping in mind that the lines in Alaska are a little :roll: isolated and may vary where your at. They do seem to eat more than some other breeds, but their meat to bone ratio is EXCELLENT! The litter sizes and available milk from mom seems great. I am noticing that mine seem to mature slow compared to other breeds. The males are not reliable studs until 10 months old. Females really don't make the best of moms until a year. Several I couldn't even get to conceive until then, but I did have one doe take at 6 months. We butcher males at 10 weeks and females at 12 weeks, usually between 4-5 lbs live weight at that time. Older than this and weight gain drastically slows and they are tougher to skin and meat is not as tender. However, the pelts at this age are pretty much worthless :(
My favorite thing about them is the fur does not stick or buildup in the cages, they don't get all "tufty" like a husky dog during their molts. It just makes clean up soooo much easier. I really wanted to get into Silver Fox, until I handled them at a show and started sneezing my butt off :evil: Stupid allergies I guess.
The bucks are like puppy dogs, super cuddly. My females seem to get there after 2-3 litters.
I describe fur texture similar to running your hands through water or pearls??? Think satin sheets :lol:
Hope this helps, and good luck on your rabbit adventure! <br /><br /> __________ Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:07 pm __________ <br /><br /> Oh, and I keep individuals in 30X24 deep. Yes same problem, my arms are short and 30" deep is a pain when trying to catch the young ones. My breeding does with nest boxes are in 30X30 and grow outs destined for freezer camp. They are in an unheated barn and do great in the cold. Not that Alaska has been that cold the last 2 years :twisted:

Speaking of 'misheard lyrics' and reading the wrong thing when you see it.... I saw this thread as "Are they good in bed?".... lol I had to do a double-take.

Back