Satin x Rex = normal fur

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disney

Reaction score
Hi,

A friend is going to cross a satin to a rex and i already know the outcome.
But she asked the following: if they both don't carry normal coat, how can they make one?

The rex doesn't carry satin but the satin does carry rex.
So 50% of the kits will be rex and the other half will be normal.
But how do you explain the normal coat gene coming on when both parents are not?

Am i overlooking something?

Can't compare it with Bew x Rew either because we know that other genes come into play making a colored baby. But how does that work with the different coats?

I can only think of "original default settings" go into work, because it has 1 rex and 1 satijn gene that both are on different locusses, which is not enough to make a coat of itselfs.
So the normal coat settings are turned back on.

I know that it's the same with guppies, when you cross 2 guppies with different base colors, you get fry with the original, wild color.

I sincerely hope she has a solid idea of which direction she intends to go in (all satin or all rex) using her beloved crosses after they're up to breeding age.

I sense the offsprings' coats are going to be snafu'd for a while. There is a point when a satin's coat can become too dense, IMHO. Adding in a rex coat will likely run her directly into that problem.

Yes they are on different genes. On my phone I can't explain properly, but Rex gene is about length, satin gene is about the diameter of the hair shaft. Rex length is so short the guard hairs are the same length as the undercoat. The Satin coat as normal length guard hairs. The diameter of the satin guard hair, Is thin and that makes looks translucent. The diameter of the Rex coat hairs are normal. Two totally different things, two totally different mutations<br /><br />__________ Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:37 pm __________<br /><br />SatinsRule is right, those coats are complete opposites

But how do you explain 2 recessive genes that are crossed, cutting back to the original, dominant gene that is not present in the parents?

SatinsRule":jedg74ax said:
I sincerely hope she has a solid idea of which direction she intends to go in (all satin or all rex) using her beloved crosses after they're up to breeding age.

I sense the offsprings' coats are going to be snafu'd for a while. There is a point when a satin's coat can become too dense, IMHO. Adding in a rex coat will likely run her directly into that problem.

She is just getting into it and she is borrowing my satin dwarf buck.
She crossed it with netherland dwarfs and now her rex.

Satindwarfs are usually crossed with rexes to make a satinrex around germany/holland.
They're also used in loffelohr, lionhead and i'm going to combine it with lutino.
These are the only type of satin we have, the official breed is not present.

We don't show so we don't have to worry about that.

399874_10151550584704528_135083329_n.jpg

Let 'R' be non rex fur and 'r' represent rex
Let 'S' be non satin fur and 's' represent satin

The Rex doe is genetically 'rr SS' and the satin buck is ' RR ss' when you cross them you get 100% Rr Ss who have normal fur.

Now do you see?

If you breed the kits togeather you will get
RRSS
RRSs
RRss = satin

RrSS
RrSs
Rrss = satin that carries rex

rrSS = rex
rrSs = Rex that carries satin
rrss = satin rex

And all the others look like normal rabbits.

Disney":31gflpjh said:
But how do you explain 2 recessive genes that are crossed, cutting back to the original, dominant gene that is not present in the parents?

SatinsRule":31gflpjh said:

She is just getting into it and she is borrowing my satin dwarf buck.
She crossed it with netherland dwarfs and now her rex.

Satindwarfs are usually crossed with rexes to make a satinrex around germany/holland.
They're also used in loffelohr, lionhead and i'm going to combine it with lutino.
These are the only type of satin we have, the official breed is not present.

We don't show so we don't have to worry about that.

399874_10151550584704528_135083329_n.jpg

If she's wanting a dwarf rabbit with a satin coat, get a mini satin. They were, after all, built off the framework of a Netherland Dwarf to begin with.

Satin Rex? I'd need to see that to believe it. I have a hard time believing true good Rex fur will come from that cross. It's hard enough to get the right texture with two Rex. Thinning the hair shaft to get enough sheen would not make proper Rex fur.

Dood":1ukrs2t9 said:
Let 'R' be non rex fur and 'r' represent rex
Let 'S' be non satin fur and 's' represent satin

The Rex doe is genetically 'rr SS' and the satin buck is ' RR ss' when you cross them you get 100% Rr Ss who have normal fur.

Now do you see?

If you breed the kits togeather you will get
RRSS
RRSs
RRss = satin

RrSS
RrSs
Rrss = satin that carries rex

rrSS = rex
rrSs = Rex that carries satin
rrss = satin rex

And all the others look like normal rabbits.

This was what i was looking for, thankyou Dood, it makes sense!
But there is one part that i don't get..

The RrSs = normal coated due the presence of the capital letters who represent a non-rex and non-satin gene. The non turns it back to normal coat.

But why does a RRss and Rrss become a satin when there's still non-rex gene present?
Or does the rex locus back off when the satin locus says "i have 2 recessive genes so i'm going to express myself, you lay down".

Aslong as there's a capital letter on either gene, they will be normal coated from your explaining and that i don't get. Unless one of the both genes is surpressed whenever the other gains 2 recessive in order to express itself.

:shock:

But why does a RRss and Rrss become a satin when there's still non-rex gene present?
Rex has nothing to do with satin even though they both affect fur. When an agouti rabbit carries a self you cannot tell because the self gene has no effect on the dominant agouti.

Let's look at it using colours instead of fur, I'll use the agouti/self and normal/dilute locus and breed an opal (AAdd) to a self black (aa DD)

The kits will all be chestnuts who carry self and dilute ( AaDd) When we breed them togeather you will get

AADD
AADd
AAdd = opal

AaDD
AaDd
Aadd = opal carrier of self

aaDD = black
aaDd = black carrier of dilute
aadd = blue

And all the rest are plain old chestnuts.

Back