Sand under the cages??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joybellfarm

Reaction score
Ok so im getting ready to get back into chickens and everyone says sand is awesome to have in the coop.That got me thinking what about under the cages in the rabbitry? Anyone here tried? My questions would be would i need to empty the sand out ever month or with lime and a home made poop picker upper could i just leave the sand under there for a yr or more. Right know i use a shovel and shovel some of the dirt floor out trying to get the poop. To me this sounds like a great idea. I may try under a few cages. And if i like put it in the whole barn even walk ways.

My main bunny barn is situated between our two sheds on what used to be a patio floored with paving stones. When we built the barn we removed the pavers but left the sand base.

I just rake the poop out from under the cages periodically, and then use a sifter to sprinkle Ag lime and diatomaceous earth on the exposed sand. Sometimes I add pine shavings (or oak leaves in the fall) to absorb the urine.

I have an automatic water system and the valves sometimes drip, so between that and the urine the sand is always wet. Ideally, I would install a French drain under the cages to optimize drainage.

I have had rabbits there for a couple of years and we have not replaced or added to the sand base.

I'm following with interest. i used sand in my coop, and although it was heavy to shovel, I found I could shovel it out, let dry shift and reuse. I loved it. Can't do it in the current barn, but I could under the grow out cages.

Cool sounds like i might be giving it a try then 1 idea i read was take a pitch fork and put hardware cloth on it to act like a oversize kitty scooper.

Since my sand is compacted (and damp) very little is lost when I remove the waste.

i might use DE to it could help keep worms and such down since i will allow the chickens to clean out under the cages from time to time.

mystang89":1l2i5g6b said:
Why put DE down MSD. Fighting anything in particular?

Odor and bug control. I used to always find earwigs and pillbugs in the bedding. Some earwigs and pillbugs in the environment are healthy, but too many will start eating seedlings, and I didn't want them colonizing my vegetable garden.

It also will kill adult flies although their maggots appear immune.

joybellfarm":1l2i5g6b said:
I might use DE to it could help keep worms and such down

Worms as in earthworms? DE wont harm them unless they are completely coated with like you were going to fry them up for dinner. ;) It works by scratching the waxy coating of the exoskeleton which causes "bugs" to dehydrate. Worms don't have an exoskeleton plus they are coated with mucous.

sorry internal worms and such. Not that my rabbits have any but just in case. I would want to control them. And keep the chickens healthy to.

Our chicken coop has gotten a bit muddy lately, as the pine needles have broken down (much faster than they normally do!). I've been wondering how I could re-do the floor. Maybe sand is my answer.

Miss M":1hh8798t said:
Our chicken coop has gotten a bit muddy lately, as the pine needles have broken down (much faster than they normally do!). I've been wondering how I could re-do the floor. Maybe sand is my answer.

When I put sand in mine the smell left, the fly population was cut to 1/4 of what it used to be, there was no more mud and the poop, both dog and chicken, disentigrates extremely fast. I love it. Its definitely the best thing I've done to the chicken run.

mystang89":1a1ewd9e said:
Miss M":1a1ewd9e said:

When I put sand in mine the smell left, the fly population was cut to 1/4 of what it used to be, there was no more mud and the poop, both dog and chicken, disentigrates extremely fast. I love it. Its definitely the best thing I've done to the chicken run.
That sounds awesome! :p

So what did you do... dig down some amount? Do you pull it out to clean it ever?

I've been thinking of sand too! I remember before I started, I saw someone had tried it with their rabbitry and were happy. They would take the dirty sand after a while and get it with the hose until it ran clear, let it bake in the sun, and then put it back. I think it's a nice! Would like to try it

Ok one question do u think hardware cloth over a pitch fork would get the poo out? It would be like a over sized kitty scooper. Or is there a smaller hole wire to use.

Miss M":1mrgbb8d said:
That sounds awesome! :p

So what did you do... dig down some amount? Do you pull it out to clean it ever?

When I put sand down I dug about 1 ft of dirt out meaning to replace it with 1 ft of sand...sand was a but more money than I thought so in some places I only put down about 5in or so. This spring the plan is to fill the rest in.

I've had it down for almost a year and the only maintenance I've had to do was to rake out the leaves in the fall and the feathers when they decided to molt. I'll give its better look spring time and see if anything else needs to be done but as of now its not looking like it.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:10 pm __________<br /><br />
Peach":1mrgbb8d said:
I've been thinking of sand too! I remember before I started, I saw someone had tried it with their rabbitry and were happy. They would take the dirty sand after a while and get it with the hose until it ran clear, let it bake in the sun, and then put it back. I think it's a nice! Would like to try it

What did they hold the sand in to wash it?

joybellfarm":xe5bkj23 said:
Ok one question do u think hardware cloth over a pitch fork would get the poo out? It would be like a over sized kitty scooper. Or is there a smaller hole wire to use.

Try using wire that is 1/4" x 1/4". I haven't seen any wire smaller than that.

Heavy wire screening for windows. I dumped and shook it out. Now that I think about it, i don't remember flies in the chicken coop. If it wasn't so heavy, I'd put it in the rabbit pans.

Miss M":1fvqcu9y said:

We get absolutely swampy during the hurricane season and we put down a couple of inches of mulch. Then the chickens poop on it, roto till it and it breaks down and then we use it on our garden and add more mulch.

Works good!

concreteblonde":3jakomnc said:
We get absolutely swampy during the hurricane season and we put down a couple of inches of mulch. Then the chickens poop on it, roto till it and it breaks down and then we use it on our garden and add more mulch.

What do you use as mulch?

Back