Samantha the Gorilla now an honorary member of ARBA

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure how to take that Terry, ARBA is not an animal rights group, its a rabbit breeders and fanciers' group! The membership was extended to showcase ARBA as the place to go for proper info on raising rabbits.Its finally a public event involving rabbits that DOESN'T have the House Rabbit Society or PETA all over it!!

but it is an animal rights plug. It shows how ARBA sees rabbits as primarily companion animals. Having rabbit classified as a companion animal threatens the rights of people to cull them for FOOD (aka cats,dogs, horses, guinea pigs etc). They are a multi-purpose animal and we must FIGHT to keep them labelled that way. AKA Deb Belle. The judge refused to allow her rabbits to be called LIVESTOCK. And thereby influenced the case.

ARBA did good here...but ARBA also needs to make the point of highlighting the use of animals in ALL their functions...not just as a companion animal.

Appeasing PETA and AR groups is definitely not the way to go and that is how this strikes people who are fighting hard to maintain rabbits being seen as livestock.

So, the ARBA doesn't have Meat/Production breeds? Since they are the "only game in town" if you want to show rabbits seriously (which I very much want to do) we, the general membership, need to keep asking for more public advocacy of all uses for rabbits. I agree that the ARBA could do more to offset the ARAs assault on meat/production uses of rabbits. And, there is no doubt about it, rabbits make good pets, too!

But, even within the ARBA membership, there are people who despise those of us who use rabbits as a source of meat. Heck, just using the word "cull" can result in outright assaults on a person in a simple yahoo group!

just using the word "cull" can result in outright assaults on a person in a simple yahoo group!
then you need to belong to different yahoo groups. :) (sorry, couldn't resist that).

It's good to belong to various groups as it keeps you apprised of what is going on. but some groups commenting on them not such a good idea.\

But ARBA does have meat breeds, and they used to (from what I've heard) be the biggest classes to be shown. But now the fancy breeds outnumber them greatly. And yes, some fancy breeders have a hard time with the concept of culling. It is easier talking with meat breeders as opposed to the fancy breeders. The mindset is different. Though some fancy breeders will cull as they've learned the value in doing so.

:lol: That is why I am "here" :lol: Too much unnecessary drama in some of those groups!

Latest posts

Back