Safe Hedges

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pink

Reaction score
I would like to line the barrier (8ft long) in the rabbit pen with a hedge that I can easily maintain at 12" to 36" high. Half of it would be in intense direct sunlight for approximately 6 to 8 hours, while the other half would only receive very minimal lighting. They would be kept in containers.

I was thinking about the Alpine Currant, Green Mound Alpine Currant, Dutch Box or Japanese Box are either of them safe if the rabbits decide to munch on them? Would they survive given the rabbit-pen conditions?

What do you suggest as an alternative?

How about hostas? Not really a hedge plant, but they are in the height requirement you have, give terrific low shade and are totally edible for rabbits or people. They are carefree, drought resistant perennials... very dependable plants. Because of our harsh winters, any hedge plant you choose would be better planted in the ground.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1239.html
http://www.hostachoicegardens.com/

MaggieJ":3dnuj1qe said:
How about hostas? They are totally edible for rabbits or people.

:shock: They are?

MaggieJ":3dnuj1qe said:
They are carefree, drought resistant perennials...

:shock: They ARE?

I have always wanted hostas, but have never gotten any. I had the impression they would need a lot of moisture, with their big beautiful leaves.

You are a font of useful information, Miss MaggieJ! :p

Oh hostas... how I hate them, and yet love them at the same time. They're the domesticated form of plantain lily, come in hundreds of varieties, ranging from teeny tiny to GIANT. At 12" - 36", you're looking at medium varieties. I'd stick to the most common, as the rabbits probably really would eat them. They have pretty flowers, and at the upper edge of your height requirement is a standard green leaf with a white fragrant flower - very lovely scent. They are also attractive to hummingbirds. Unless you get a majority of shade in the area, stay away from the blues, as it's a waxy coating on the leaf that gives them the blue colour, which would melt away in the sun, leaving you with standard green hostas. You can get a lovely pair of variegated hostas, I can't think of the name, but there's one that's white on the outside, and one that's white on the inside. Striking when planted together. If you want to completely cover the area, you can get an umbrella shaped hosta, and then underplant with smaller varieties. I personally like the ones who make nice mounds - the tiara series would be nice, variegated in tones of green. Francis Williams is a little taller, and nice as well. Be sure to do your research before planting, though, as they are apt to be much smaller in the pots than in the ground, and tags will usually tell you the height and mound size. Most of the most common ones are fast spreaders as well(hence why they're most common, lol).

I work for my mother's plant business, and her specialty is actually hostas. She's got about 100 varieties at the moment, and always adding more. They're very hardy plants, lovely foliage, most do well in the sun(except the blue varieties). We have some that have literally been in pots for 2 or 3 years, and they keep coming back. Have had no issues with the heat this year, the hostas are the only thing that haven't really needed much water without wilting. As I said, though, go with the most common, as they are definitely the hardiest, and will stand up to being occasionally munched much better than some of the fancier varieties.

I'd offer to sell you some of my mum's, but it's quite a drive from there to here, even if for super cheap hostas.

I have lots of hostas, they prefer the shade, those mines are not in full shade. I almost never water the ornamental gardens, and they are huge this year because of all of the bunny poo, so I would say they are relatively drought resistant.

Edible, I did not know. The escape rabbits were found under the hostas eating them. Besides the fact that I am sensitive about my hostas, I was worried about the kits. They seem fine :)

__________ Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:51 pm __________

I have the blue, mostly variegated and a few that were supposed to be big daddy. I hate the flowers and cut them off before they bloom.

Hmmm. I should let my mum know about the poo being good. She'll take all my rabbit poo for her compost, lmao

My rabbits will eat hostas but don't love them. The chickens, however, shred them daily. We have them in full sun, partial shade and almost full shade. Partial shade is probably best but they do well everywhere. The hummingbirds love them. It was Iggysbabysitter who told me they were edible... and they are.

How would hostas fare, if put in the drip line of a roof - I still do not have gutters, in some areas.

Piper":312kab0u said:
How would hostas fare, if put in the drip line of a roof - I still do not have gutters, in some areas.

I don't know. I never water the things once they become established.

Should do fine. It wouldn't be the dampness of the soil that'd be the problem, but the dripping on the plant itself might cause them to flatten when you get rain. They'd perk back up after a day or two, though.

Thanks.

I know they can get as big as 5ft... I'd like to keep them around 1 ft; maximum 3 ft.

Does anyone know how deep the container for the hostas need to be?

They will be stunted in containers for sure, but overwintering won't be a problem. Mum leaves hers for sale in 6" pots over the winter, and we rarely lose any. I would suggest that you use the largest pot sizes possible for the space, to keep them from being too badly stunted. I'd say 2 gallon, if possible, or larger. You will also want to pull them out once a year and divide them, again to help keep them from stunting too badly. This will also help you replace any that you do lose over the winter.

I did discuss it with my mum, and she agreed with me about them flattening and then perking back up from the dripping off a roof.

As others have suggested, though, they would do best if you could put them directly into the ground.

MaggieJ":3ebfzprd said:
Pink, why do you want to plant them in containers? It will be difficult to overwinter them in containers and they do great planted right in the soil.

The rabbit pen has concrete flooring.

Pink":17otp73a said:
MaggieJ":17otp73a said:
Pink, why do you want to plant them in containers? It will be difficult to overwinter them in containers and they do great planted right in the soil.

The rabbit pen has concrete flooring.

Rent a jackhammer? LOL!

I'll go out a buy some more hostas, and see if they'll survive in the container or not. They're $15 over here, for about 12" to 16" tall.

I currently have about 50 hostas in the "garden". I didn't know they were edible! I wonder if my landlord would mind if I ripped some leaves off?

Pink":1luqns4k said:
I wonder if my landlord would mind if I ripped some leaves off?

Are any damaged by snails or slugs? You could take those off, rinse them, and feed them to the buns. The plants will look nicer, and it is healthy for them to be pruned a bit. :)

Its kinda late in the year to do it now or early , but if you already have hosta , you could dig up starts from the ones you have and plant in pots. they need dividing every couple years anyway. fall and spring are the best time to divide them. I divide mine early spring as soon as the new shoots show themselves. Some people do it after the first frost in the fall.

Latest posts

Back