"Run Rabbit Run" (Or, how humans are herbivores)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cottie

Reaction score
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/bea ... rabbit-run

Until we "moderns" came along, humanity was empathetic, prosocial, cooperative, generous, censuring cheating, selfishness, abuse, and aggression. This pervading sense of connection and wellbeing was not limited to fellow humans, but extended to other animals and nature. [6] Contrary to myth, our ancestors were largely herbivorous and not the ruthless hunters conjured by defenders of carnivory. [7] Science reveals that our civilization is rude, crude, and decidedly uncivil.

The reference for the bolded part was a book written in 1991 titled Voices of the First Day: Awakening in the Aboriginal dreamtime, which examines a single traditional culture.

Does anyone else feel some kind of Orwellian double-think going on here? I'm not saying animal abuse is good, or that we haven't become a more brutish-for-no-gains species, but the idea that we were herbivores, when virtually all anthropological data says the exact opposite is disturbing.

It's simple...they are trying to re-write history.

Until we "moderns" came along, humanity was empathetic, prosocial, cooperative, generous, censuring cheating, selfishness, abuse, and aggression.

.........................yeah, sounds like SOMEBODY (not naming names) drank the kool aid. :roll:

Science reveals that our civilization is rude, crude, and decidedly uncivil.

Except...science has found the opposite, actually. Just sayin'.

Psychologists call it pathology.

LOLOLOLOL, heck with that!!! I took Med. Term., and I don't think that is used in context. Path/o = disease. -logy = study of.

So they are saying that eating meat = STUDY OF DISEASE? Either they did that by accident or they really HAVE drunk the kool aid.

This was written by a crazy person.

:rotfl:

Scroll down and look at their references !!!

I wouldn't take this too seriously, they are likely a millionaire who bought their way into the magazine.

Dood":1dmycymr said:

Scroll down and look at their references !!!

I wouldn't take this too seriously, they are likely a millionaire who bought their way into the magazine.

WOW. Just...............wow. I mean...well....WOW.

Their "refferences" are.....................lol, dare I say WOW. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OR

The AR using their massive donations to good use in brainwashing Joe Public into believing this is a real science article!<br /><br />__________ Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:41 pm __________<br /><br />It MUST be true - it was on Wiki :D

Kyle@theHeathertoft":1z0053ac said:
You mean...her?
http://www.psychologytoday.com/experts/ ... aw-phd-phd

Executive Director of...this?
http://www.kerulos.org/

Who is quoted saying things as silly as...this?
In the words of Gay Bradshaw, Bunspace is a “trans-species relational field” and an example of how through living intimately with another species, we are developing new ways of being and relating not only with other animals but with other humans at the same time. Rabbit culture is changing human culture."

RJSchaefer":3juirt77 said:
Kyle@theHeathertoft":3juirt77 said:
You mean...her?

In the words of Gay Bradshaw, Bunspace is a “trans-species relational field” and an example of how through living intimately with another species, we are developing new ways of being and relating not only with other animals but with other humans at the same time. Rabbit culture is changing human culture."

LOL what?

"Bunspace?"

Trans-species relational field?

Rabbit.............culture????????

Crazy crazy crazy!!!!!!

I will say that we have wisdom teeth because we did use to eat more vegetation and they were required for grinding up fibrous foods such as plant life; however, that was because plants couldn't run and bison and caribou and all could. ;) It was all what we could get our hands on. Crowing crops was easier than catching and taming wild beasts, even, though as time went on, we did do just that and have become more fond of meat and dairy, thus our wisdom teeth no longer have space.

That doesn't mean we weren't any crueler than we were now. It means we didn't have electric fencing and didn't shoot wolves from helicopters. -rolls eyes-

Cspr":1lz07pta said:
I will say that we have wisdom teeth because we did use to eat more vegetation and they were required for grinding up fibrous foods such as plant life; however, that was because plants couldn't run and bison and caribou and all could. ;) It was all what we could get our hands on. Crowing crops was easier than catching and taming wild beasts, even, though as time went on, we did do just that and have become more fond of meat and dairy, thus our wisdom teeth no longer have space.

That doesn't mean we weren't any crueler than we were now. It means we didn't have electric fencing and didn't shoot wolves from helicopters. -rolls eyes-
Actually, if Weston A Price is to be believed (I think he is) our wisdom teeth don't come in properly due to basic nutritional deficiencies in utero and early childhood; our jaws don't form properly, leading to crooked teeth, cavities, weakened enamel and "unnecessary" wisdom teeth.

There was a video that used a mechanized human jaw, fitted with real human teeth, to demonstrate how even our molars are more adapted to meats than plants - they have sharp, pointed ridges, which are unusual in herbivores who typically have wide, semi-flat teeth. Instead of grinding and mashing, they tear.

RJSchaefer":362jvr2l said:
Actually, if Weston A Price is to be believed (I think he is) our wisdom teeth don't come in properly due to basic nutritional deficiencies in utero and early childhood; our jaws don't form properly, leading to crooked teeth, cavities, weakened enamel and "unnecessary" wisdom teeth.

There was a video that used a mechanized human jaw, fitted with real human teeth, to demonstrate how even our molars are more adapted to meats than plants - they have sharp, pointed ridges, which are unusual in herbivores who typically have wide, semi-flat teeth. Instead of grinding and mashing, they tear.

That is true-- WHEN I had wisdom teeth I DID use them to chew with-- and missed them terribly when they were yanked.. When one looks at the molars of true herbivores including our rabbits--and the molars of such extinct animals as Mastadons and early horses, the structure of molars are flat, and appear to have rings of harder and softer tissues, as opposed to our tooth structure, and the structure of carnivorous animals, with only one hard, outer surface, as well.

Frosted Rabbits":1z4q93nu said:
That is true-- WHEN I had wisdom teeth I DID use them to chew with-- and missed them terribly when they were yanked.. When one looks at the molars of true herbivores including our rabbits--and the molars of such extinct animals as Mastadons and early horses, the structure of molars are flat, and appear to have rings of harder and softer tissues, as opposed to our tooth structure, and the structure of carnivorous animals, with only one hard, outer surface, as well.
Someone else who misses those teeth!! :grouphug2:

Mine came in *almost* perfectly. I had space, but they were at a slight angle (I have matching cavaties on each of my back molars from where the WT rubbed through the enamel). My options were braces (long, expensive) or pulling (quick, expensive).

RJSchaefer":2hcufkj3 said:
Kyle@theHeathertoft":2hcufkj3 said:
You mean...her?

I couldn't get the first link to open, but that Kerulos one did, and the first 2 lines cracked me up:
"Kerulos is the classical Greek word for kingfisher and the brilliant cerulean blue of their feathers. As the central image of our logo, it conveys that word and bird are one".

Even if YOU don't automatically start hearing "bird, bird, bird, the bird is the word" in your head, the sentences make no logical sense. Perhaps they meant "world", but even then, it's very circular reasoning.

I am sad that Psychology Today seems to have turned into the psychological equivalent of Wired magazine in technology. It has not been THAT long since I was in college, but we couldn't cite Wikipedia for a term paper, much less something we expected to submit to a professional journal. We also had to cite at least twice as many "hard copy" sources as online ones (some professors even limited them to ONE), even if we accessed them online - this business of "retrieved on x date" was NOT part of APA style in 2001!

Granted, kids chasing chickens and rabbits in the hopes of catching (and keeping as a pet?) one is a goofy sport, but are the rabbits any more terrorized by it than if the chasing were being done by a coyote? And how does that translate into "mutilation"? I do agree that if one finds it offensive, then DON'T GO (boycott), and you are within your rights to write about how you wish others felt as you do. But a line is crossed when you lie about history in order to persuade, or harass others when you fail to persuade. I am not fond of American football, so I do not go to games or watch it on tv - but the closest I have come to a "rant" about it was writing for my HS paper how foolish it was that everything in town said "Home of the [town name, team name]" on it, INCLUDING the water tower, which had the water system's name above the line! As if our players were swimming in the tank . . . well, I thought it was funny when I was 16 :p I certainly would not have stood at the gates yelling at spectators that they were barbarians!

So by their reasoning, I could put forward circum polar/Inuit/Eskimo natives, who survive on MOSTLY meat, as that is what is abundant...

There are a number of logical fallacies, such as strawman, appeal to authority, and quite a few inductive fallacies, but hey, who am I to argue
after all, I am a vegetarian,
see, now you have to respect my authority, cause I don't eat animals and MUST know about this subject (logic BTW)....

Herbivore teeth are flat, as the fibers of the plants must be crushed and ground, as in a grain mill, in order to permit digestive enzymes acces to the interior of the plant cells . Carnivorous teeth are pointed in order to tear the fibers of meat apart-- the cell walls of 'meat' are easily digested by enzymes and acids...

Latest posts

Back