Rotisserie Rabbit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since rabbits don't have much fat, I would think you would need to baste it, or wrap it with bacon perhaps.

The first rabbit we ever ate was when we were vegetarians-that-ate-fish. We had just moved to the country, and Hubs shot a bunny that was eating my gardens, and buried it. Not long after, I found him sitting with his head in his hands, and I asked what the problem was. He answered that it seemed such a waste to kill it and not eat it. So I told him to dig it up and we'd eat it. He had no idea how to butcher it, but fortunately, I was reading "The Grapes of Wrath" at the time, and there is a vignette about them having rabbit for dinner, that was explicit in how to prep a bunny. So Hubs read the passage, and skinned and gutted it while I started a fire in the fire-pit and wrapped foil around a piece of rebar... it was a redneck rotisserie! My son Firstpup was about 3-1/2 at the time, and when he saw the bunny-carcass in Daddies hands, his little eyes lit up and he piped "We havin' fish!?!" :lol:

It was very tasty cooked that way, despite the fact we didn't know to let it rest for several days to get past rigor. I'd say give it a try- if it turns out too dry you can always make soup or stew out of it.

Some cultures will gut an animal, then put it on a spit or into coals and allow the fur to burn off as the animal cooks. I have no idea how well that would work with rabbit, but it may work fine.

There are recipes for rotisserie rabbit out there that are done with skinned rabbit, just did a little search.

MamaSheepdog":24abbm7t said:
I was reading "The Grapes of Wrath" at the time, and there is a vignette about them having rabbit for dinner, that was explicit in how to prep a bunny. So Hubs read the passage...
:lol: I bet not many of us can claim to have learned how to clean a rabbit by reading "The Grapes of Wrath"!!! :p

Miss M":31ry46o4 said:
:lol: I bet not many of us can claim to have learned how to clean a rabbit by reading "The Grapes of Wrath"!!!:p

:roll: I am unique in so many ways... :lol:

I cried so much reading that book. I don't remember the part about the rabbit. You have inspired me to read it again.
If you want fire roasted, try marinating in tariyaki sauce and then grill. We loved it so much I am freezing about half of the 16 this way ,that I plan to process this weekend. We call it Peking rabbit and it is very good.

We live in the general area of the setting of the novel- I know Weedpatch highway well. Hubs just said that when the book came out, Bakersfield was so infuriated that they held a book-burning in front of city hall!

We had a neighbor who was an actual Okie. He picked crops alongside his family as a boy. He became a family practitioner, and eventually an anesthesiologist. I'd actually like to write a book about the experiences of "The Okies"- we live in the right place to do it! I think their stories would be so fascinating.

ChickiesnBunnies":1f2dwzr2 said:
I can see some people waxing the rabbit... =D
I hope the bunny is dead before they try that! Bad enough on eyebrows. I think I would rather be dead than get another part waxed.
:-x

Cattle Cait":3p57mk6y said:
I think that unless you plan on shaving the rabbit, you might just have to go without skin :)

Actually, I thought I might try dipping the rabbit in scalding water and pulling most of the fur. Chicken feathers come out pretty easy when you dip them, tedious as it is. Any fur that's left could be singed off.<br /><br />__________ Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:41 pm __________<br /><br />
MamaSheepdog":3p57mk6y said:
Since rabbits don't have much fat, I would think you would need to baste it, or wrap it with bacon perhaps.

I was thinking about making a paste with olive oil, cumin, smoked salt and rosemary, and smearing that on the rabbit. However, now that the idea of BACON is on the table, maybe I'll wrap bacon over top of the herb paste.

Bacon!

:clap2:

Wild Vitality":2x9vs58i said:
I was thinking about making a paste with olive oil, cumin, smoked salt and rosemary, and smearing that on the rabbit. However, now that the idea of BACON is on the table, maybe I'll wrap bacon over top of the herb paste.

Bacon!

:clap2:

Who doesn't love BACON?! :D

I wish that there was a breed of pig that butchered out as nothing but bacon!

MamaSheepdog":1wyhrxbp said:
I wish that there was a breed of pig that butchered out as nothing but bacon!

Minus the cholesterol .....

Yes , I resurrected a thread from page 44 .... Im trying to absorb everything.

I'm glad you resurrected. I've been thinking about trying some rabbit on a rotisserie. My rotisserie is a convection oven, though, no open flame. I do like to throw rabbit on the grill. I cover it with olive oil, rub on some seasoning and then sear it good and wrap in foil, move to a cooler part of the grill to finish cooking. Last time I made it, it was FANTASTIC. The first time I didn't do the foil and dried it up too much.

Ramjet":1b27amna said:
Yes , I resurrected a thread from page 44 .... Im trying to absorb everything.

:lol:

I did the same when I first joined the forum. :reading1:

coffeenutdesigns":1b27amna said:
I do like to throw rabbit on the grill. I cover it with olive oil, rub on some seasoning and then sear it good and wrap in foil, move to a cooler part of the grill to finish cooking. Last time I made it, it was FANTASTIC. The first time I didn't do the foil and dried it up too much.

Wrapping in foil and cooking at low heat is one of my favorite ways to prepare tough cuts of meat.

My 11y/o, Colliepup, BBQ'd a rabbit for us, and it turned out really well, even without basting. It was an older rabbit, though, so maybe having more mass it didn't dry out as much as a fryer would. :?

IMG_0125.JPG

MamaSheepdog":15l0jksh said:
I did the same when I first joined the forum. :reading1:

I've read .... almost everything thru the first 50 pages of threads in this section as well as the rabbit Care section so far .... Feel like I'm cramming for a final exam which started Sunday when I picked up three Rex from One Acre Farm , one of which is has your Evil Blue in its pedigree.

My 11y/o, Colliepup, BBQ'd a rabbit for us, and it turned out really well, even without basting. It was an older rabbit, though, so maybe having more mass it didn't dry out as much as a fryer would. :?

That looks delicious.

coffeenutdesigns":ixeygte2 said:
That looks delicious!

It was! :p

Ramjet":ixeygte2 said:
Feel like I'm cramming for a final exam which started Sunday when I picked up three Rex from One Acre Farm , one of which is has your Evil Blue in its pedigree.

Rabbits are addictive that way- you want to learn all you can about them. :) I'm glad some of my stock made it to your barn, since you are already studying so much! :p

My "Sistah" OAF and I traded Rex pairs two years ago when she came to CA. She brought me two Lilac and took a broken black buck and a blue doe home.

Latest posts

Back