Rose hips--must be dried? or is fresh OK?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogCatMom

Reaction score
I looked on previous threads about rose hips, and the consensus seemed to be that dried rose hips are OK for rabbits. However, I have them available 12 months a year (when I'm behind in my pruning, that is :oops: ), and at least 6 to 8 months a year no matter what....

This climate zone (Sunset climate zone 17, for those of you familiar with the Sunset system) almost never freezes. In some ways this is nice, but what it really means is that the fleas are never frost-killed and I have a 10- to 14-day window in late December/early January when the roses and blackberries must be cut back. If I miss that window, too bad! The plants have started up for the next year, and tender new growth is everywhere.

My new gardening assistant will help me in a consistent, small way by EATING the crossing branches, at least from the roses. When I cut branches off the roses for His Bunniness (not his name, just a go-by), is it safe for him if I leave the rose hips on the branches as an extra, or should I snip them off and dry them first?

If fresh is OK, do the rose hips count as a sugar/treat? as a vegetable? as a fiber? In short, how do I account for rose hips in the Daily Diet of the Lagomorph? How many should I give him in one day? (I can, of course, experiment, but if this knowledge is already available, I thought I'd simply ask here first.)

Thank you!

All parts of the rose bush are non-toxic, so I would assume that fresh hips are okay. I don't think they are sweet (taste one!) so I don't think the usual cautions about fruit would apply. I wouldn't give him dozens because they are very high in Vitamin C, which might be laxative, but a few should not hurt him. I'd use the rest to make rose-hip jelly or tea for yourself. :)

His Bunniness will appreciate the bonus and think his slave is fantastic! Like MaggieJ said, hips are not sweet in themselves so should not need to be limited like fruit would. But, you need some of those rosehips for teas and jellies so His Bunniness must share!

Per my bunnies, roses, rose leaves, rose stems...in short rose BUSHES are the GREATEST THING EVER!!! (I've yet to get a hip off them for my bunnies but I'm sure they will be a hit as well.)

Isn't it nice to have such willing gardening assistants? They will eat the leftovers and turn it into lovely fertilizer to make MORE!!!

I'm with Frecs- mine adore just about any part of the rose bush I give them. I have given fresh rose hips withot issue, but I do limit how many they get.

And Sky, mine are wild roses. I am not sure about cultivated ones, but I can't see there really being much difference, as long as the plant hasn't been chemically treated.

Even when I'm not pruning, I nip off bits for the bunnies...they love it all...particularly the newer leaves but I give them both dried and fresh hips as well as the canes...and they snarf it all up. Poor things...dunno what they're gonna think when green stuff is no longer available :(

Ok. Unfortunately, I have a serious black spot problem so I routinely spray my roses. I heard it stays in the soil, so I have to do it every season.

Frecs":vwvhteeq said:
Ask your grocer if he will let you have the spoiled/outdated milk that he would otherwise toss in the trash.

My grocer is Walmart or another big Chain store like Giant Eagle, they aren't allowed to do that. This is a worthy enough cause to sacrifice a gallon of milk.

Glad this question was asked. Lots of wild roses around here, I'll gather anything I can get my hands on. :lilbunny: :pinkbunny:
Makes for happy buns!

MatSuAK":dvypspxu said:
Glad this question was asked. Lots of wild roses around here, I'll gather anything I can get my hands on. :lilbunny: :pinkbunny:
Makes for happy buns!

ME TOO!! We have them all over our property and I have been wanting to collect the hips for myself and now that we are getting bunnies I will have an excuse to go get them! :D

Hmmmmm that's interesting I have rose hips aswell imo they taste. Great I love them!!!:)
I should see how the buns like em

Back