Rex x Satin = ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gulien

Reaction score
Just curious, if I crossbreed the two, if I could expect any interesting coat types? Can a rabbit have 2 genes for Rex, and for Satin, or are they mutually exclusive?

Hi Gulien

I'm surprised to see this question here.

YES it is possible to get a rexsatin. A rabbit who actively is rex and satin at the same time. Both genes are located on a different loci so they don't interfere with eachother and just combine if they come together. :D

I have a rexsatin doe right now, the photo won't do her justice because she was heavily molting here, but her coat is now done and very shiny.
I will try to snap new photo's of her this week. ;)

5467453_orig.jpg

And this is her black satin son who carries rex.
There were also rex in the litter.

5299595_orig.jpg

Rexsatin are actually very common and popular in germany who started this trend that is now spreading through holland where i live.
That's becaues many dutch and german breeders trade/buy/sell animals from eachother and visit rabbit shows in the neighbouring country.

I breed satin dwarfs who come from germany that carry many different traits with them.
This is what the 'fancy' breeders in germany do.. they breed and mix everything with fancy traits like rex/satin/löffelohr/wooly together.
Some breeders from holland (where i live) have imported rex and loffelohr from germany, and these animals carried satin and produced them.
They are called rexsatin and i have one but i'm only interested in the satin. So any rex that comes out, will be sold.
Then i have a orange satin buck who carries rex. A black satin doe out of a rex doe, and i have some lutino's who carry satin and/or rex because they have a german rexsatin grandfather who spread his genes who are now carried by many, many of his offspring.

I'm curious to hear about your idea, why are you interested in combining these genes? I think many breeders will advice you not to do it because satin can break down the quality of rex if you don't watch out.

Any questions or photo's you wanne see, let me know.

Thanks, that was very interesting!

I breed mainly for meat, but since aquiring a beautiful chinchilla satin buck, I've gotten more interested in showing. Unfortunately, it seems difficult to find a chinchilla satin doe. Most of the shows are some distance away, and I haven't been able to get to there, otherwise I'd probably have better luck!

Someone nearby has standard Rex does for sale, and I was just wondering what that cross would be like. I'm still going to look for my satin chin ladies, but I need a new doe soon, for meat production

Breeding a satin chin to a satin REW should give you some satin chins and possibly an entire litter of them :D

Breeding to a satin sable point would also work.

Back