Recovery from ear infection, when to breed- opinions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraNJ

Reaction score
So Lola my last remaining beveran doe had wry neck a few months ago which was caused from an ear infection, we tested for everything else and it was negative. We finished her antibiotics up over a month or more ago along with panacur. Also was treated for ear mites.

I did one more ear mite treatment last week which made her very lethargic and she didn't want to eat which I am assuming was a very bad reaction to the treatment. Was drinking but barely consuming any food for a couple days (would not even touch fresh veggies!) following the ear mite treatment (our last one, vet had a schedule for doing the drops).

She isn't emaciated but she has lost some weight. Her spine isn't spiky feeling but there isn't as much meat as there was. I am planning to breed our mini rexes on the 9th of May and would like to breed her at the same time to the beveran buck so I could foster her kits if needed.

I am worried that if I wait longer it will be getting too hot for her to have a litter (buck is outside) and this may be the last breeding for the mini rexes until fall so if I wait I won't have anyone to foster kits to.

She will be 10 months may 9th. She is inside since the wry neck and I would keep her inside for her litter so I could watch her. What do you think? Ok to breed her on the 9th if she continues to do well and gain weight? I am free feeding and she gets some veggies and a little hay everyday.

She is acting completely normal, happy, energized, etc and looks healthy except slightly thin to me. Opinions on what you would do.

I would probably wait a little to let her put on some weight and feed her up a bit,
but other then that I think it would be fine as she is about the right age to start.
Good luck with her! :)

:bunnyhop:

I would not breed her now but wait until she is back to top condition. I doubt she would gain wait during pregnancy and certain she will loose weight during lactation.

Rabbits very rarely show signs of illness, they are genetically programmed to avoid being spotted as weak by predators untill the last minute. Just because she 'looks' happy, fit and active does not mean she is 100% or even 50% healthy.

Thanks Dood. I am going to weigh her today and see what her weight is. I kept track prior and then during her ear infection so I have a good record and that should be able to help me determine where she is as far as weight at least.

I disagree ... if she has recovered from the treatment, breeding her now will not place undue stress on her body while gestating and she should continue to improve. Just supplement with some BOSS and/or oats, limit her hay so she eats more pellets.

Back