Record Keeping

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyrocket

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone use the breeders assistance for Rabbits for record keeping?

I downloaded the Trial version to test it out and was wondering if anyone else used it and could tell me their thoughts/opinions on whether or not it's worth the purchase. It's simple to use mostly and keeps a lot of information but maybe there's something better out there? I can't work excel, which is what a lot of people use apparently but I really just want something quick and easy to operate.

It seems to be missing several breeds and colour options (like Chinchilla for Flems) but I think that could just be because I'm on trial download.

(Program In Question: http://www.tenset.co.uk/downloaddemo.html)

If you use something else and think it might be better let me know! I'm willing to look into anything.
This one's available for a variety of animals and this company also has a phenotype prediction program for dogs and cats

michaels4gardens":31c4ymsj said:
I am no help at all, -- I have a notebook and hutch cards---

I still keep back ups on paper but in Breeding Assistant you can keep record in one spot of breedings, trial breedings, sales and purchases of kits/rabbits, contacts (like an email list), you can create pedigrees, kit / rabbit sale contracts, hutch cards, genetics, stud cards, breeding analysis, show records, vet records, vaccination records (program is uk and they have shots for buns), Accounting Records, and so much more. I love the ease of the program but it looks like a Windows 95 / 98 window and am still not sure if I should spend the 69USD to buy it yet.

Lol

I tried it when I did the dogs, didn't like it. I've since started using Kintraks, but I still have the notebook and hutch cards too, which I update more regularly than kintraks.

skysthelimit":kq5tkw42 said:
I tried it when I did the dogs, didn't like it. I've since started using Kintraks, but I still have the notebook and hutch cards too, which I update more regularly than kintraks.

ohh I'll look into Kintraks and see if I like that better. Thanks c:

I use Evans, its more expensive but worth it. I had Kintraks before, purchased off of ebay for about $20.00 :) Kintraks is a very simple multispecies record keeping system. Evans is more advanced, more species specific on what you buy. I have the deluxe version and wouldn't go back.

I have the Evans Deluxe version of Rabbit Register as well. I love it! I have yet to even make a dent in using all of the features, being technologically challenged (to put it nicely), but it has a great deal to offer.

Skyrocket":1ddcja70 said:
It seems to be missing several breeds and colour options (like Chinchilla for Flems) but I think that could just be because I'm on trial download.

...or it could be that the U.K. doesn't recognize Chinchilla as a variety in Flemish. They have different breed standards than we do here in the U.S., and some breeds are known by different names altogether.

I had it and hated it . It's a very confusing program so I bought evans instead which I love ! I've been using it close to 8 years and I'll never switch to another program :)

MamaSheepdog":2mg39mud said:
I have the Evans Deluxe version of Rabbit Register as well. I love it! I have yet to even make a dent in using all of the features, being technologically challenged (to put it nicely), but it has a great deal to offer.

Skyrocket":2mg39mud said:

...or it could be that the U.K. doesn't recognize Chinchilla as a variety in Flemish. They have different breed standards than we do here in the U.S., and some breeds are known by different names altogether.

That's true! I keep forgetting they have different standards in the UK. Even with Dogs.

fld20":2mg39mud said:
I had it and hated it . It's a very confusing program so I bought evans instead which I love ! I've been using it close to 8 years and I'll never switch to another program :)

Cool I'll certainly look into Evans, in fact I'm googling it right now before I forget again.

I used kintraks for a year or so but had a computer malfunction and their backup also failed so... I have been using Global pedigree.com for about 5 months & I LOVE it. Jeremy, the creator/owner is VERY responsive/helpful if there are any issues that I have had he gets right on them. I bought a "Lifetime" membership for $75. Totally worth it, IMO. If you sell a rabbit to someone, he will give them their 1st month's subscription free. You can pay $2/month, or other period prices if you want. It's really kind of neat to be able to search all the 25,000+ rabbits that have been entered if you're interested. I usually just look at the Rex, but more is available if you want. New features are always being added and there is a user forum to make requests and get help.

caroline":u2ohtz96 said:
I used kintraks for a year or so but had a computer malfunction and their backup also failed so... I have been using Global pedigree.com for about 5 months & I LOVE it. Jeremy, the creator/owner is VERY responsive/helpful if there are any issues that I have had he gets right on them. I bought a "Lifetime" membership for $75. Totally worth it, IMO. If you sell a rabbit to someone, he will give them their 1st month's subscription free. You can pay $2/month, or other period prices if you want. It's really kind of neat to be able to search all the 25,000+ rabbits that have been entered if you're interested. I usually just look at the Rex, but more is available if you want. New features are always being added and there is a user forum to make requests and get help.

That sounds cool too but I like the idea of not having the documentations online so I can access them if my internet goes kaput. I don't have the best connection since the dearest puppy-dogs decided the cable in the wall outside was a snack and the company is being a pain about fixing it. I WILL look at it just because I like to stay as organised as possible but I just downloaded the 30 day trial of Evans and am looking at that as I type. I can't say I care too much for Evans yet. It seems to focus mostly on pedigree which as a meat breeder doesn't really suffice because I mix and match based on colours, size and meat ratios. I'm mostly looking for something where I can keep record of who bred to who when, when that litter was born, what colours they produced, how many kits they produced together, etc. and I think Evans is more for show types.

I turn pelts around too, I hobby in taxidermy and while I use pelts myself I also have a lot of people interested in abnormal type / pretty/ interesting colours and patterns so most of my rabbits are "not show quality, non standard colours". I'm okay with that, I'm also not opposed to purebred standard colour meaters too but I'm not so sure the dogs care if their dinner is pedigreed or not. lol.

Also Evans isn't allowing me to add my Pogo (Unknown Mix) x Pearl (Californian) litter to the program so I'm not so sure I'll stick with it.

I hope that makes sense to someone other than me.

Skyrocket":1enq6tc4 said:
I mix and match based on colours, size and meat ratios. I'm mostly looking for something where I can keep record of who bred to who when, when that litter was born, what colours they produced, how many kits they produced together, etc. and I think Evans is more for show types.

Also Evans isn't allowing me to add my Pogo (Unknown Mix) x Pearl (Californian) litter to the program so I'm not so sure I'll stick with it.

I hope that makes sense to someone other than me.

Evans should track all those things. Perhaps not in the trial version, because the genetics predictor is only in the Deluxe version, not the basic. That's one of the reasons why I felt it was not worth the money for me, that is feature I don't need, I can predict colors by looking at the rabbit and what it produced. Maybe Evans in the Deluxe version might let you add non standard colors (anyone out there?).

With kintraks, you add your own breeds and colors, so you can make up whatever color name you want.

skysthelimit":16x360ki said:
Evans should track all those things. Perhaps not in the trial version, because the genetics predictor is only in the Deluxe version, not the basic. That's one of the reasons why I felt it was not worth the money for me, that is feature I don't need, I can predict colors by looking at the rabbit and what it produced. Maybe Evans in the Deluxe version might let you add non standard colors (anyone out there?).

With kintraks, you add your own breeds and colors, so you can make up whatever color name you want.

I'm not sure it let me Log Pogo (I logged him as a Black GT Broken Satin for testing the program) but it wouldn't let me add Pogo as the Sire to Pearl's litter. I still have to look into Kintraks, do they have a trial I can test out? Just downloaded the trial

Yes,
you are able to add odd colors.
If you have any problems a quick email to Dave Evans will solve it for you.
I have never had a problem with my Evans Software.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Skyrocket":1bx5zd33 said:
skysthelimit":1bx5zd33 said:

I'm not sure it let me Log Pogo (I logged him as a Black GT Broken Satin for testing the program) but it wouldn't let me add Pogo as the Sire to Pearl's litter. I still have to look into Kintraks, do they have a trial I can test out? Just downloaded the trial

If you have windows XP or below you get the full version free. I paid for the full version on my Win7 laptop, but when it crashed, I downloaded the free version on the XP desktop.

I've been thinking about hutch cards lately. A paper card can be messed up and information still needs to be transferred to a more permanent place. So I was thinking about marking each cage with a cattle ear tag.

file_2_38 (326x450).jpg

For example Cage 1 holds doe Duchess, Cage 2 holds... On my computer it would read Cage 1 and then list all the information for that bun. What are yall's thoughts? :popcorn:

You can even find them with insecticide on them. :x Have thought about those but worried about my buns chewing them. Not that the tags would be in the cage but if a corner stuck in. :x

Back