Reasons to tattoo kits sold as pets?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RebelRose,
I will definitely be coming back to this information you have shared after I order and get my kbtatt! Wow, thanks SO much for taking so much time to be so helpful and informative! I appreciate all the details!!! This will be very helpful to me I'm sure!!:thankyou:

Welcome :) I think, if you go to search, you can find a link to a good spray on here too. IF I remember right its Gigi's, another member mentioned using it. There's probably some other tips on the same thread for tattoos too :) Some do theirs a bit differently, its like with the rabbits what works for one person may not be an exact fit for another. This is a great place for info, just wish I'd found it years earlier when I first started...would've avoided a lot of head ache and redo's myself :)

Zass":24khejwp said:
I used a KB tatts pen to touch up an old tattoo on my ankle (and put anther small one on my shoulder). I had to test it on me before subjecting my buns to it, that is just how I am. You should have seen me sampling all the weird baby foods before giving them to my kids... :lol:

Anyway, it actually hurt much less than a professional tattoo machine.

Practicing your technique on a citrus fruit is a common way to get a feel for it before applying it to skin.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I sampled baby food for my nieces and ummmmm, well... when I was little I decided I needed to know what an Alpo dog biscuit tasted like. I'm just glad we didn't know about bully sticks at that point.

Well, my Kbtatt pen came a couple days ago and I tried it out on one 7 week old kit today.
Can't say it went well! The rabbit is fine but it was stressful, he kept moving his head... even though I had him burrito'd and my daughter was helping secure him in place. I managed to get the first two letters done after multiple attempts (had planned 5 letter/number combo) but I'm not sure I did the 2nd dark enough. So, it ended up probably as a wasted effort. Not saying the pen isn't good just that for me this was something that wasn't nearly as easy as it looked... very awkward & stressful. Not sure what I'm going to do...

Like anything, practice makes perfect.

Did you try a few times on a banana peel? Once you get a feel for the pen don't forget to hold the banana peel the same way you'd hold a bunny ear so you get good at writing in that position.

I don't do an entire letter or number but break them down into their basic shapes and repeat those lines a couple times

For example "/ /" then " \ \" then "- -" for an "A"

I'm quick enough now that it takes me less than a minute to do a tatt on a kit.

Dood":803o935h said:
Like anything, practice makes perfect.

Did you try a few times on a banana peel? Once you get a feel for the pen don't forget to hold the banana peel the same way you'd hold a bunny ear so you get good at writing in that position.

I don't do an entire letter or number but break them down into their basic shapes and repeat those lines a couple times

For example "/ /" then " \ \" then "- -" for an "A"

I'm quick enough now that it takes me less than a minute to do a tatt on a kit.

Thanks for the encouragement... that was pretty much what my husband said too. It'll just take practice. I did not practice on the banana peel as I'd read different ones say they didn't think that was helpful. But, I might practice that way if you think it does help. I needed to hear it will get easier so I don't just forget the whole thing. Thanks! I'll probably try again in the next couple days. Bummer was first time using and going to reassemble the whole thing after cleaning I managed to damage the end of the needle. :( Thankfully it came with an extra.

I just tattooed all my growouts yesterday, 15 in total. I found that practicing on a banana peel worked well before I started on the little poopers. I found that if I use a cut-off from one of my son's pant legs to put the rabbit in, that I can do it without to much movement on the rabbits part.

What I do is cut-off the bottom portion to the pants leg, below the hole in the knee, and put a small hole towards the hem. The small hole is just large enough that I can pull the ear through. Using clips I keep the rabbit from going all the way through the pant leg. I tuck in the back section after the rabbit is in and away I go to tattoo the bun.

All told takes about 2 minutes to tattoo each bun. My tattoos consist of the first letter of the names for both parents, the 2 digit month, D or B, and the number for which sex it is. For instance, on one of the does I just did, CK11D3.

I prefer to tattoo all of our rabbits at weaning or shortly after. It helps me keep our records straight, both within the herd and once they leave.

I did want to add for those that are new or having some struggles with tattooing, I was really frustrated because I couldn't get my tattoos to look like I wanted them to. They weren't dark enough and I wasn't happy with the coverage. I bought a bottle of "triple black" from a human tattoo supply store and the difference is night and day from the ink that came with our tattoo pen (Inkinator). It was also very affordable ($4.75 for a 1/2 oz. bottle).

I use a deep indigo blue for my tattoos. Of course it is human grade so if I do tattoo my finger by accident it will not kill me so to speak. ;)

Back