Realistic growth rate...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stone soup farm

Reaction score
I hear about getting rabbits to 5 lbs in 8 weeks, but does this actually happen? All of mine are taking about 10 to 12 weeks to get there. I have Californian, meat mutts, and Cali crosses with NZ and soon to an AM Chin. I do feed a partial natural diet, maybe that is it. They are all between 3 + to almost 4 lbs at 8 weeks. I should have pure AM Chins this fall, so maybe I will see this 8 week rate then. What is everyone else averaging and what do you have?

I had some once and had to get rid of them. At the time I didn't realize how great they were. Now I know! :weep: They were NZ mix and they were great! I was getting bunnies from 4.5- 5 lbs in 8 wks!
I miss them but now I have my Americans and the girls were 4.5 lbs at 8wks so I have high hopes for them. :)

People that raise NZ are the only ones that I have heard say they get 5 lbs at 8 weeks. I bet your Americans will do well. I have not bred mine yet...later this fall. Then I can compare them. I know it also matters to quality of stock, but my stock so far have been great mothers and I haven't lost a kit other than the few from one rabbit that are DOA, she is getting culled this month.

I have several lines of NZ that reach butcher weight at 8 weeks, and my Americans are closer to 9/10 but generally have superior yields. I think mostly because the Americans eat less.

It's realistic. Research who you are buying your rabbits from. Those that concentrate on shows and do not eat rabbit tend to have slower growth rates.

There's a whole lot of variables that need to come together. I've raised rabbits since the mid-70's. Back then 4pounds@8weeks was pretty good and commonly expected. Now, the bar has been raised considerably.

Once in a blue moon will I get NZW's to 4.5 at eight weeks. Those are the ones I keep back.

grumpy.

sommrluv":13xdijck said:
It's realistic. Research who you are buying your rabbits from. Those that concentrate on shows and do not eat rabbit tend to have slower growth rates.

The show Rex people are telling me that they cull anything that doesn't reach 4lbs by 8-9 weeks, so don't count out those show people. You just have to research. By that standard, I would basically cull everything I have, because mine are barely at 3lbs at 8 weeks. Now the Silver Fox I have were 7lbs at 7 weeks, and the French Angora is the size of a full grown Rex at 13 weeks, so he probably was around 5 lbs at that time. All show lines. I'm trying to figure out where I am going to house these Foxes and Angoras, since they will need to be moved sooner than I do the Rex.

I'm getting there. I had some four week olds at the same weight as the 8 week olds, guess which litter I'm keeping. 4 week olds were 3.2lbs, there were a few 8 week olds that hadn't even hit 3lbs. They are in the meat pen awaiting sentencing.

I will save stock that shows the best and improve as I go. I do have some that have reached 4 lbs in 8 weeks but not 5. I have an AM chin/Cali cross coming up in a few days. Hope they grow great.

ladysown":1b3r4u8k said:
Silver Fox I have were 7lbs at 7 weeks

Did I read that right....7 lbs in 7 weeks. Wow! Wish I could have some of those. I have considered Silver fox as one of my heritage breeds, but my only source is someone who mostly breeds for show and has smaller litter. :( He also doesn't seem to have that amazing growth rate. More American blues and whites in my area, so that is what I am adding.

My stock has been reliable as far as mothering skill, which a lot of others in my area haven't had. I should be saving stock this winter from the best of the best and up my rate slowly that way.

Thanks for all the input and sharing.

I would love to get 5 lb in 8 weeks
But this is what my weighing is showing me

litter born 1-Apr-13
Bunnies weight at
Week 6.5, Week 7.5, Week 9, Week 10
16-May-13, 23-May 1-Jun 8-Jun
1- doe
2.18 lb, 2.57 lb, 3.10 lb 3.72 lb
2- doe
2.84 lb, 3.37 lb, 3.90 lb 4.54 lb
3- doe
2.55 lb, 2.97 lb, 3.46 lb 4.12 lb
4- doe
2.44 lb, 3.40 lb 3.68 lb 4.30 lb
5- doe
2.55 lb, 3.13 lb, 3.65 lb 4.21 lb
6- doe
2.75 lb, 3.26 lb, 3.72 lb 4.38 lb
7- doe
2.11 lb, 2.40 lb, 2.93 lb 3.43 lb
8- buck
2.44 lb, 2.95 lb 3.30 lb 3.79 lb

Maybe the weather (all the BIG tornadoes we are getting) has thrown them off eating a little lol.
All are NZWs

of those, keep back the largest. (doe 2, 5 and 4). Discard the rest.
then breed them back to a fast growing buck.

Keep doing that and eventually you'll get your 5 lbs at eight weeks.

Back