REAL LIVE BABIES! - with photo ;)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheels

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Ruby doe was on her third strike - last two litters were total disasters, a mix of new mom, early kindling and extreme cold weather. I was on the fence of being done with her and feeling sorry for her and so I figured now that the weather was nice a botched litter would mean I'd have to hand her - her walking papers....

This morning the Mad as a March Hare Harlequin found redemption! a nest full of orange and black hair and a mound of wiggling babies! I feed super early so the sun wasn't out just yet so I'll have to take some pictures tonight.

Also - my REW New Zealand buck happens to be a Broken something! unless there's another way to get spotted babies from a harlequin and a REW! I think all the babies are black though :)

Way to go, Ruby! :bouncy:

Saved from the stew pot! :D

Congratulations on the litter. May she feed them well! :good-luck:

well no photos as Mom is rather POed when I go messing in her cage. I'd have to remove the nest box and she ain't having that just yet. I distracted her enough with some apple slices and clover to get a head count - 8! Five solids and 3 broken. black based maybe Agouti

question - I'm a little concerned that she may not nurse them enough, they were a little skinny last night - I had a doe who is normally an exceptional mother have a litter of two extra large kits that were DOA last Monday... would it be to late to transfer some of these new babies to this other doe? She built a beautiful nest (her whole dewlap is BALD!) and it seems like such a waste. I just wonder how long it takes for a doe to dry up.

so far so good - Ruby's done pretty well with her babies. "Wonder Woman" was ever so kind as to help me out so we could get some photos. The Blankets were her Idea even though it was almost 90 F here yesterday.

I also messed up when counting, there are 8 but I have four broken and four solids. I'm pretty sure all the broken kits are chestnut and the solids I think I have 3 black, one black looks a little different than it's siblings and one Chestnut. Also I used my Cali/NZW cross buck, so these kits are half harlequin, and a fourth NZW and Cali.

IMG_1911.jpg
IMG_1919.jpg
IMG_1921.jpg

Back