Raccoon roundworms

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aolsz

Reaction score
I am in Jersey City -- an urban environment within view of the skyscrapers of Manhattan. Starting around 35 years ago, the neighborhood has many raccoons. I see the outdoor hutches and tractors many here use. In Jersey City, would defecate on top of them. Is this paradoxically not an issue in most suburban and rural places throughout the country?
# # #
"...
Baylisascaris procyonis is a roundworm (similar to those commonly found in dogs and cats) carried by many raccoons. In the small intestine of the raccoon, this roundworm may be little more than a nuisance. The eggs are spread by raccoon dung.

Baylisascaris also infests a wide range of birds and mammals – including people. When Baylisascaris finds itself in animals other than raccoons, it bores through the intestinal tract, attacking the liver, lungs, eyes and brain.

Raccoon roundworms can be a death sentence for pigeons, doves, parrots, chickens and other birds.
..."

https://www.petcraft.com/articles/2017/03/05/raccoon-roundworms-the-hidden-horror/

I’m also curious if anyone has had a bunny affected by this? I ask because I have a bunny with a neurological condition tgg he at I think is related. I let my bunnies play in the catio. I’ve had raccoons living in the shed and swept some of the mess in the yard. I’m afraid she munched on contaminated grass.

Latest posts

Back