Raccoon or Cat Attack? ***GRAPHIC AFTERMATH***

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trapped a raccoon and dispatched it! The raccoon picked the older, but smaller trap with practically nothing left for it to eat.
The new trap had some uncooked eggs, marshmallows, and fish heads in a loosely tied bag.

Thought of you this morning, WabbitJack.

Sent another raccoon off to where ever it is that all good raccoons go....

I use the cheapest can of cat food I can find. Seems to work well.

So - we're guessing how many WabbitJack traps? Between now and the end of the year?

I'm in for a dozen. That'd be a couple a month.

Got a handful of marshmallows and placed them in the larger trap. Hoping to see 0, but realistically I should see about 10 more.
Hopefully no alpha predators like a bear or cougar comes near our place...

Northern IL had black bear sightings that began a couple of weeks ago.

Source: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/06/18/ ... -illinois/
http://www.wifr.com/home/headlines/Blac ... 56701.html <br /><br /> -- Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:38 am -- <br /><br /> Two more appeared last week, looked out the window and saw a huge raccoon entering the hutch area so I ran out to discover another raccoon in a trap.

20140702_155203 (1280x720).jpg

20140702_155248 (1280x720).jpg

I dread the day a raccoon gets serious about my set-up. I hope I have everything as buttoned down as can be, but still, I'm sure they could find a hole or two in my defenses if they really tried.

Quick threadjack - Michaels4gardens, what is it that you are using to cover your inset feeders? I have a few of those that I love, but there wasn't an option to pick up a cover for them like there was for my more typical J-feeders.

JessiL":c9henxdb said:
I dread the day a raccoon gets serious about my set-up. I hope I have everything as buttoned down as can be, but still, I'm sure they could find a hole or two in my defenses if they really tried.

Quick threadjack - Michaels4gardens, what is it that you are using to cover your inset feeders? I have a few of those that I love, but there wasn't an option to pick up a cover for them like there was for my more typical J-feeders.

The top is made from a piece of 6 inch "top / bottom plate" metal framing material, found at construction supply houses. The "feeder supplier" wanted several dollars each for covers, I bought a 12 foot piece of top plate for $7 and made all 24 covers from that.

I'm so sorry for you and your bunnies. :(
Sadly, as they say, chickens are the only animals that chicken wire keeps OUT.

Your hutch is absolutely beautiful, Wabbitjack! Did you make it?

Good luck catching those raccoons! We've had to trap our share of coons for our chickens' sake. I will never be able to like raccoons after seeing the horrible things they've done to our animals. :furious:

OK, so after reading this post I felt very grateful that I had never had to deal with raccoon's before. A few days ago something got into the cat food trash can and pulled the lid off. I put a bungee on it and the next day there was a small hole chewed in the top and what look like raccoon prints on the side of the can in the dust. Rabbits are in same barn and haven't been touched yet, but I freaked out and bought two live traps, one raccoon size and one smaller. I baited both with cat food and this morning I woke up to both traps being sprung and all the bait gone. Anyone have any ideas of what went wrong, what might work, and what it might be? Thanks for any suggestions.

My theory on the traps is that the bait might still be in reach for the Raccoon's to grab. Their hands are almost human-like and can fit through cages without trouble.

Another guess is that more than one raccoon are at the trap and one still standing at the end of the trap (Where the door closes) while the other one goes in and sets off the trap.
This will enable both raccoon able to get away with the prize.

*Caught a Opossum in the trap this morning, it was a momma possum that just had her babie(s) in the trap, are opossum safe to release in the general vicinity?

A co-worker who used his game cam to see what was bothering his chickens:

10452885_10202498385724655_6063519035356073950_o.jpg

10496081_10202498387964711_7283550030639511972_o.jpg

Thanks, that makes sense. I think I'll put a smaller pile of wet food in there so it's harder to reach in and grab through the wire. Any ideas about the second raccoon holding the door up? I can't think of anything.

opossum's are as big a threat as a coon. they just move a little slower, but
will eat an animal alive if they have the opportunity. Kill 'em!!!

-- Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:47 pm --

There's far too many people having far too many problems with varmints
and such.

I won't publicly speak about this, but you may want to take a gander at
this link. You may or may not choose to follow this. It's entirely up to you.

CAUTION:pROFANITY in small doses. I couldn't edit it.

http://conservativepoliticalforum.com/s ... ur-garden/

If you "really" want to end a problem......take heed.

grumpy.

I wire a small cat food can to the bottom ,inside of the live trap. just past the trip plate, in the center , I put the bait in the can, they will try to get the last food out of the can, and trip the trap.
When they wise up too much for that-- I set leg-hold traps...

Although we may "end" a problem with raccoons bothering our stock,
don't think for a second it is over. IT'S NOT!! You just completed round one
of an ongoing fight that has no end.

With the removal of your problem critters, you've created a vacuum.
A vacuum that Mother Nature will soon recognize and realize that space
needs to be filled. Here comes some more!! :x :x :x Around the country
wildlife has reached and exceeded its saturation point. Once a void is created,
another animal/s will move into that void. And your problem begins once again.

Expect it......Always be vigilant.....Never assume your worries are over.
They're not. You've solved one problem. NOW.......be prepared
for the next one. Always keep your "remedies" on hand and use them when
the next problem appears......immediately. Its a constant battle of you
against them. And if you let your guard down, they'll win.

Take the offensive and become aggressive. Start looking for sign. It could be
a nearly discernible trail through the long grass. Droppings...size shape and
freshness. Guard hairs stuck in or on a fence. Note the height, the color,
the texture to determine what kind of animal is preparing for an onslaught.

Grumpy

Good advice Grumpy, I have had to be constantly vigilant. Even had to trap ground squirrels because they were stealing eggs (saw them do it!) Had to call animal control about 30 times when I was catching neighborhood dogs (people let them just run free). Dogs killed two sheep and some chickens, friendly dogs, just bad for livestock. Finally people seem to have gotten a clue about keeping their dogs under control. We have pigs, horses, and rabbits too so always on the lookout. I have built fence, double enclosed chickens and rabbits and still have problems. Take care and protect your livestock everyone, Grumpy's right, they are always out there.

People dump dogs around here. :angry: We used to get a lot of dogs coming into our property, until we fenced off the old side entrance. We don't get very many any more, thankfully... they don't usually come down the gravel road and come in from that entrance, for some reason.

Well, I am definitely making progress on those pesky predators! 4 coons, 2 skunks, and quite a few ground squirrels (those that have been stealing eggs)! Don't know how many are left, but "never give up, never surrender!" :lol:

RR MiniSatins":1tfe9s1w said:
Well, I am definitely making progress on those pesky predators! 4 coons, 2 skunks, and quite a few ground squirrels (those that have been stealing eggs)! Don't know how many are left, but "never give up, never surrender!" :lol:

When I lived in Florida, I was reminded of a lesson learned long ago., --" , before getting livestock, build a predator proof enclosure - I lost several rabbits and chickens to coons and possums, then I realized, as soon as I killed some predators, more moved in, so I excepted the fact, that I could never kill all the coons , and possums in Florida, so I spent my money on a predator proof coop, and rabbitry.

Back