Rabbits love Tomato plants?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SyP

Reaction score
So today I noticed my tomato plants, totaly, getting out of controll. I decided to to trim them and give them to my rabbits. Tomato plants are kind of sappy smelling and nothing I would eat but I see the Cottontails dieing to get through the chicken wire to eat them, so I thought why not? After about an hour the greens from the tomato plants were gone, the rabbits ate everything. So, I'm wondering, are tomato greens good for rabbits, cause they sure seem to like them. :farmer3:

Interesting... tomatoes are in the Nightshade family, along with peppers, eggplants, and potatoes. There are varying levels of toxins in the stems and leaves of these plants, so the greens from them are generally considered too risky to feed. :(

To be on the safe side you probably shouldn't feed tomato leaves and stocks just incase.
I have a problem with deadly night shade growing on my property and there was some growing up beside my rabbit run and I saw my rabbit put her nose through the bars and nibble down a whole leaf- then she was trying to reach for more and I pulled it all up. She didn't get sick or anything- but still I try to weed it out.

When we have had "escapee livestock animals" whether horse, goat, or chicken, they have all sampled the tomato plants with no ill effects.

Although not an ideal feed, I don't think an occasional nibble will cause any harm.

I doubt that tomato plants would cause problems. I have even seen Horse Nettle on a safe list. Same family, much stronger as far as solanum family effects.

mystang89":11qk1cmb said:
Miss M":11qk1cmb said:
Very interesting, Mystang! I don't recall ever seeing that thread!

Hmmmmmmmm.....

Getting old? :twisted:

I'm an :angel:
hammer.jpg

:bash:

:twisted:

I know that when I plant a garden, animals that eat every other plant in the garden leave my tomatoes alone. The chickens won't mess with them, which is good since they aren't supposed to be good for chickens. I guess if they ate it and are fine, that's all that counts for now, since you don't plan on making a habit of it.

Just remember. In nature, animals who eat things they shouldn't, who then quickly sicken and die, they aren't as successful at passing their genetic information on. As such, *most* of the less domesticated animals do a solid job of self regulating and/or staying out of what's bad for them.

There's always exceptions, and always those few food sources that never get selected against. And when you add heavy domestication, with the dulling and removing of natural traits that comes with that, you open the window to more problems.

Back