Rabbit saves diabetic from coma!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neat story. I expect with the body chemistry change, people smell funny to their pets when their blood sugar changes.

eco2pia":18qi29xl said:
Neat story. I expect with the body chemistry change, people smell funny to their pets when their blood sugar changes.

Exactly!! That is why Service Dogs CAN be trained to alert to changes in blood sugar.

Frosted Rabbits":bwf2sle5 said:
eco2pia":bwf2sle5 said:

Exactly!! That is why Service Dogs CAN be trained to alert to changes in blood sugar.
Wow, I didn't know you could train for that!!! :shock:

How the heck would you practice?!! The EMTs must get really cranky when you show up at the ER and claim that your dog training session just got a little out of hand! :x :lol:

eco2pia":1if6z5yi said:
How the heck would you practice?!! The EMTs must get really cranky when you show up at the ER and claim that your dog training session just got a little out of hand! :x :lol:
It's a lot of hard work, and involves 'dirty' socks, lots of ziploc bags, and blood sugar testing. In a way, it is like training a SAR/cadaver dog. You teach the dog differnt responses to the differnt scents. Then as the sugar starts to drop, or go up, the dogs response dictates what the handler/partner needs to do next

Latest posts

Back