rabbit rant....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowbuild

Reaction score
Is it me, or is there a lot of people out there that just don't have any clue what breeds they have??? I have seen cross bred lops called flemish, or a all white rabbit called a new zealand....rediculious....learn your breeds, and don't waste peoples time! I am better now! :lol:

It's not just you.

I've found that the majority of people selling rabbits are backyard breeders who have no clue about what breed they've got and just like people in shelters trying to re-home dogs they make a best guess on what breed they are.

Unfortunately in our ultra materialistic society nobody wants a :shock: mutt :no: it's a very sad turn of events since these ignoramuses are flooding the market with crappy "Holland Lops" that are 5 pounds and "Flemish Giants" that don't get over 10 pounds and " Angoras" with pathetic coats and " [insert breed] " and giving the breed a horrible reputation.

What Dood said!

I've noticed more and more, alot of people getting into breeding rabbits that are not first educating themselves on the breeds they want before buying. On reflection, they usually blame the other guy and take no responsibility for their lack of proactivity themselves.
There is really poor quality around, that wasn't a few years ago. I'm not even seeing nice mutts like i used to.

A lot of pet stores don't know either. My first rabbit they said with a Mini Rex Havana cross—it was a Netherland Dwarf.
My next rabbit they they said with Mini Rex was a Havana.
My friend got a Mini Rex they said was a Netherland Dwarf.

What gets me is that these breeds aren't hard to tell apart. Mini Rex have soft fur.There you go. Netherland Dwarfs had flat faces. Simple.

or a all white rabbit called a new zealand
But white New Zealands are pure white. Do you mean something else?

Jackelope I think Bowbuild was pointing out that there are lots of white rabbits, being white doesn't make it a New Zealand. :)
I know what you mean, One of my favorite breeds is the French Lop. For a while I watched an ad in the local market bulletin for "French Loops Rabbits". It was there for months and they never fixed it. It seems like they'd have seen that and fixed it or just didn't care or maybe they just thought everyone else in the rabbit section just couldn't spell??? :shock:
Bottom line, I never called them. :?

Along those lines are the people who knowingly sell....JUNK.
Rather than eliminating them, they sell them to someone new.

I always tell folks, "There's a "reason" you bought that senior doe so cheaply."
Usually it's someone else's problem child.
Rather than taking the hit on the price, they pass it on down the line.

Not good.

grumpy

I've corrected a lady with a Lion head that still went on to sell his babies as angoras (like I wouldn't know what an angora was...) and saw a vid on YouTube where some rabbit 'experts' had a Jersey Wooly that was very obviously an English Angora.

What do you do, really? Everyone else seems to know best...

dragonladyleanne":2plrm6nt said:
Maybe AKC rabbits are used to train Greyhounds?

LOL no. For those that were around for it... remember the Holland Loops?

3204189.png

One is a Vienna marked (showing that it carries BEW) but there is no actual BEW listed ;) They can only be useful in BEW programs and can destroy a unknowing, new breeders normal program if they aren't working with BEW.

Interesting. So are they misinformed, or? Because it says one is BEW, not carrying BEW.

Thanks, I'm working towards one day being able to say that I can actually identity a rabbits color xD and, out of curiosty, which one is the Vienna marked? If you look at the picture where there's all 3, which one would be the Vienna - left, middle or right?

The problem with the Vienna gene is it can completely hide in a rabbit or show up as a touch of white, usually on the nose, forehead, neck or feet.

All 3 of these boys could have the gene and you'd never know until they father or grandfathered or great grandfathered a BEW or mismarked rabbit with a disqualifying white spot on them

They might just be mixing up the terms BEW and Vienna and not realize the difference. So yeah, they are mis-informed.

I wonder if a parent is a true BEW and they are unaware of the term "Vienna" ? If that is the case then all 3 boys carry the gene

They are probably working with a BEW parent or carrier, but none of the offspring are BEW. They are just marked/carriers. BEW is a difficult gene and you have to go about it carefully. I've seen people try to pass off vienna marked as broken blue (Vienna marked opal) before and it really peeved me because the girl waited so long for her "show quality" Holland and when she came to show me her rabbit because the tattoo needed retouching, I told her there was no need as soon as she pulled it out of the carrier. It would be disqualified the second she put it on the table. Not only was it oversized, but it had a nice white spot on its head and a half blue eye.

I felt so bad for her. Especially when it grew to be the size of a Mini Lop.

The vienna marked is the one with the blue eyes and white stripe on its face.

With a BEW program there are:

BEW X BEW = 100% BEW (or REW masking BEW - This is still genetically a BEW)
BEW X "Normal" = 100% Vienna carriers, 0% BEW
Vienna Carrier X Vienna Carrier = 25% BEW, 50% Vienna carriers, 25% "Normal"
Vienna Carrier X BEW = 50% BEW, 50% Vienna carriers
Vienna Carriers X "Normal" = 25% Vienna Carriers, 75% "Normal", 0% BEW

Hope this helps! :)

Latest posts

Back