Rabbit is the new poultry! (aka, kitchen whoopsies)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle@theWintertime

Reaction score
We all know that rabbit can be cooked any way poultry is, right? Well, we're testing this theory for real tonight!!!

My dad had a big rooster pheasant in the freezer...he has a SPECTACULAR pheasant recipe...so he grabbed the pheasant, thawed it, and we are having it for dinner tonight!!!

And lo, from the kitchen I hear "THIS PHEASANT HAS FOUR LEGS."

My dad grabbed the wrong baggie, LOL!!! Nice big rabbit, parted out. :mrgreen:

However, he didn't notice until AFTER THE RABBIT WAS IN THE PAN, being browned before being roasted in sauces. In other words...he pulled out the parts, lightly floured and breaded them, seasoned them, and it wasn't until he was PUTTING THEM IN THE PAN that he realized he had a lack of wings and an extra pair of legs!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm taking pictures, LOL.

That is just too funny, Kyle!

Umm... have you ever heard of a Sharpie? Ziploc bags these days come with that fancy little white part that you can actually write on. ;)

Be sure to let us know how the four legged bird turns out. :dinner:

LOL!!! I was confused because I couldn't remember a BIG rabbit in the freezer, I'm down to just a few little bitty fryers left...so I dug the bag out of the garbage. I labeled it, too! He missed the label! :lol: In his defense I just label it wherever, so the white spot was blank. Plus he didn't label the pheasant at ALL on the assumption that a pheasant in a shelf of all-venison would need no label...so when he saw light-colored chicken-y thang, he assumed PHEASANT!!

Thanks to the label, I know it was an old 8 pound meat buck someone gave me a while back! :D

AND OH MAN, THIS IS THE NEW BEST RABBIT RECIPE EVER. It's a baked/sauce dish designed for tough, dry, gamey flavored game birds...and this was the most tender, juicy, flavorful rabbit ever!!! It is my new favorite way to prep/cook rabbit...I took pictures and I have the recipe, later this week when I have more time (LOL FINALS) I'll share them on the recipe section. :) It was even a lovely presentation!!!!

We agreed that if we were introducing someone to rabbit for the first time, this is the dish that would win ANYONE over!!! :mrgreen:

But here's the REAL mystery...........

:|

...WHERE THE #@$% IS THE PHEASANT?! :shock: :eek: We can't find it!!! My dad cleaned it, griped a while because it was the ONLY bird he took this year (SRSLY, worst pheasant season EVER for us! ONE STINKIN' BIRD!!!!) and popped it in the freezer on top of a pile of venison backstrap steaks!

We may have to go excavating in the freezer. :?

Unfortunately, one of the deer my dad took this year...he nailed it in the shoulders and thanks to some seriously crazy bullet fragmentation we only got a couple pounds of meat from the whole front half of the danged deer...so it is IMPERATIVE that I take at least one deer in the later season (either with a crossbow or black powder) or we'll be short on meat in the coming year, but...it means our freezer isn't exactly TEEMING so there's noplace for a danged pheasant to hide!!!!

Now if you'll excuse me, I must go and quietly explode, because I ate three portions of this rabbit faux-pheasant. SO FULL OMG.

I look forward to the recipe too. I saw the title and it reminded me that I haven't bought actual poultry in a REALLY long time. All my chicken recipes are now made with rabbit. I was so excited when I realized I couldn't even remember the last time I had to buy chicken.

Latest posts

Back