Rabbit Injury (Need Help) Graphic Imagery

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbits By DK

Raising rabbits for meat and pelts since Feb. '23
Reaction score
This rabbit appears healthy on the outside, but when I checked at its pelvic area, I saw this:
1708524700051.png

This rabbits is only 2 1/2 weeks old and I had seen a poop cluster attatched in that spot yesterday, but when I came back to remove with a wet cloth, this is what I found.

Does anyone how I can care for this wound to make sure this rabbit recovers well?

This rabbit appears healthy on the outside, but when I checked at its pelvic area, I saw this:
View attachment 39842

This rabbits is only 2 1/2 weeks old and I had seen a poop cluster attatched in that spot yesterday, but when I came back to remove with a wet cloth, this is what I found.

Does anyone how I can care for this wound to make sure this rabbit recovers well?
I would treat it with black tea. The tannins will help clear out anything bacterial. This would be done with a cotton ball infused with the strong black tea. 2x daily.

honestly.... just keep it clean. Should heal up just fine. Remove all solid flooring from the cage, or provide tons of straw/hay over any solid flooring.
It's all wire bottomed so it should be okay in that regard. Thanks for the tip!

A good antiseptic cream twice a day. It will act as a barrier to keep dirt out, and and so keep the wound open so it heals from within. I've had this happen several times in the past - one breed I had seemed prone to it, and the antiseptic cream worked perfectly. I used Savlon (I'm in the UK). If it is a buck it may appear to have a split penis when older due to the injury, it may be best not to keep it for breeding if so, as it may not be able to do the deed, and it would be impossible to know if it already had a congenital split penis before the injury.

Latest posts

Back