Rabbit Enchiladas

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
This is one of our all time favorite ways to eat rabbit, and is incredibly simple to prepare.

Ingredients:

Shredded rabbit meat*
Corn tortillas
Oil (we use peanut oil)
Enchilada sauce
Shredded cheese
Black olives

IMG_5724.JPG

*Either simmered in water (reserve the broth for your Spanish rice or refried beans!) or baked until the meat separates easily from the bone.

Optional:

Chopped cilantro
Sour cream

Production:

Shred rabbit meat
Heat oil in skillet and fry tortillas until they change to a yellow color, but are still pliable.

IMG_5726.JPG
IMG_5729.JPG

Place some rabbit meat along the center of each tortilla and top with a bit of cheese:

IMG_5730.JPG

Drizzle sauce on top, and then roll each enchilada:

IMG_5732.JPG
IMG_5733.JPG

Continue until you have filled your dish:

IMG_5734.JPG

Drizzle sauce over all:

IMG_5735.JPG

Place into 350F oven for about 20 minutes, then add cheese and sliced olives and cook an additional 3-5 minutes or until cheese has melted. Garnish with cilantro and sour cream if desired.

IMG_5736.JPG

Oh man! This is what I get for not checking in at night. :cry: If I pushed it I could have been there in time for lunch.
Garfiled%20fork%20and%20knife.gif

:thankyou: for sharing with us MSD!!!

They are incredibly yummy, and I think they would freeze well. I think you could even package them in small aluminum trays along with beans and Spanish rice for a "TV dinner" type meal.

Homer":1w5cbvsx said:
Oh man! This is what I get for not checking in at night. :cry: If I pushed it I could have been there in time for lunch.

Oh, don't worry Homer. These are long gone- I made them for our potluck last Friday for the volunteer crew that helped with the fundraising rodeo for our local school. They were a hit! :p

Not to worry, though- we have them every Monday... although we use a standard large Pyrex baking dish when just feeding us, and there are always leftovers for lunch if you don't make it Monday night. ;)

Homer":1w5cbvsx said:
:thankyou: for sharing with us MSD!!!

Your wish is my command, Homer. Ask and ye shall receive! :D

:trapped:
Just thought I'd give a little update on the Enchiladas we've been making. It's all your fault MSD for getting me started. ;)

The first batch we made we did just like your recipe in the first post. We didn't really think the canned sauce was that good. That made me think of a friend who's family made some years ago that were very good. She made her own sauce and it was very easy and a lot better/thicker.

Enchilada Sauce

2 tb Chili powder 1/2 ts Oregano
1/2 c Flour 1/4ts Garlic powder
2 c Bouillon 16 oz Can tomato sauce

Mix the chili powder and flour with just enough cold water to make a smooth paste. Then mix in the remaining ingredients and simmer. Easy! :chef:

Then instead of using oil and another pan, (I hate doing dishes), dip your tortillas in the sauce one at a time to warm and soften them. Place in your pan and ad your filling, toppings and sauce them up. :mrgreen:

Mmm! Sounds good, Homer! :p

We will have to try the homemade sauce next time. :)

A friend of mine says that enchiladas are normally made with flour tortillas, but that wasn't the way I was taught to do it... it might be worth trying, although I think they would be pretty soggy. :?

Homer":2i944z0f said:
:trapped:
Just thought I'd give a little update on the Enchiladas we've been making. It's all your fault MSD for getting me started. ;)

The first batch we made we did just like your recipe in the first post. We didn't really think the canned sauce was that good. That made me think of a friend who's family made some years ago that were very good. She made her own sauce and it was very easy and a lot better/thicker.

Enchilada Sauce

2 tb Chili powder 1/2 ts Oregano
1/2 c Flour 1/4ts Garlic powder
2 c Bouillon 16 oz Can tomato sauce

Mix the chili powder and flour with just enough cold water to make a smooth paste. Then mix in the remaining ingredients and simmer. Easy! :chef:

Then instead of using oil and another pan, (I hate doing dishes), dip your tortillas in the sauce one at a time to warm and soften them. Place in your pan and ad your filling, toppings and sauce them up. :mrgreen:

I think 2 cups of bouillon must be a typo? And what type; chicken, beef?

cmfarm":2s9qo4u8 said:
I think 2 cups of bouillon must be a typo? And what type; chicken, beef?

No typo. 2 cups of chicken bouillon with rabbit is what we used. Beef with beef or pork. :) The flour/chili paste will thicken it up as it simmers for a few minutes (3-4). Keep stirring it so the flour doesn't settle and burn...Wonder how they'd taste for breakfast?

Oh I understand now, mixed with water and not just the powder (duh!). Sorry we are out of coffee and it is starting to show.

Don't know how I missed this when it was first posted, but I'm here now!!

Thanks, MSD - our family has always eaten rabbit in fall and winter, so I've been looking for some new recipes. We'll be trying yours soon.

I was talking to my dad the other day as I was butchering some fryers. (Mom was saying it was getting cold and where were her rabbits?)
Anyway, I asked dad why it was it seems we only eat rabbit in cold weather, i.e. stews and gumbos and crock pots. He just laughed and
said "Cuz we're too busy eating burgers and brats and grilling chicken!".

Thanks again.

Thanks again for this. We tried it the other day only with rabbit hamburger and couldn't get enough!

Ole Mule":295gwf3s said:
I could eat those everyday of the week.

I'm about to have a family mutiny here because we haven't had them in a while- we ate all of our frozen rabbit. :oops:

Fortunately, I have about 7 fryers ready to ride the bus to camp, so it wont be long! :p

SuburbanHomesteader":295gwf3s said:
Thanks, MSD - our family has always eaten rabbit in fall and winter, so I've been looking for some new recipes. We'll be trying yours soon.

It's an all time favorite here! I'm looking forward to making some rabbit soups and stews this winter.

mystang89":295gwf3s said:
Thanks again for this. We tried it the other day only with rabbit hamburger and couldn't get enough!

Yum! I still need to get a grinder so we can try rabbit burger! What kind of grinder do you use?

My parents gave me one that is pretty much the same thing that's in on this websitehttp://ellenbloom.blogspot.com/2012/12/chanukah-is-early-this-year-vintage.html. Its a bit of a job but it's fun at the same time being able to do things like they used to be done. Plus its fun watching the kids try to turn the crank. Takes 2 of them to turn it one time. Figure that along with bringing in firewood and they'll be strong enough to hold down a job soon.

I do like the rabbit meat ground up burger style. Much less greasy.

Back