Rabbit Ears

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cspr

Reaction score
I noticed when feeding one of my rabbits that her ears were stiff and cold. She's playing in the living room now. I know Mini Rex have less fur in general and we've had an unusually frigid winter down here in AL, so do you have any suggestions for keeping frostbite at bay? I know petroleum jelly is what you use for chickens, but admittedly I'm pretty sure the rabbits would lick that off and it wouldn't end well. Suggestions?

Well I am in NY and have 10 mini rex adults. No ear problems from the weather.
They are in a addition on the garage. So protected from the weather but still subject
to the cold temps. I have no heat in that area.

Only thing special I done for a mother /daughter in the same cage was to give them a wooden nest box with a partial roof. They were getting sore hocks and I was real skittish about putting anything on them. So with lots of hay in the box and nothing else, both of them are looking real good now. Sores just dried up....finally.

So my suggestion would be a wood nest box. Not metal. And some hay.
I don't like to use sawdust as that holds the liquid and makes things colder.

Yes, we have blocked all drafts, but--well, below freezing weather with stock not used to it is below freezing weather with stock not used to it. As is, thanks for the tips! I can put in their nest boxes with a good load of straw for tonight. Hopefully that'll be enough. -crosses fingers-

Back