Rabbit Cuts

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMcNemar

Reaction score
Can rabbit meat be sliced for bacon and lunch meat? Also, can it be ground into burger? Just curious. Once I'm raising my own rabbit meat it'll be nice to know what kind of variety I can make from my bunnies.

You can use it in just about any way you would use chicken or turkey meat. Grinding it raw pretty much requires an electric meat grinder because in a manual grinder the thin membrane tends to clog up the works. You could use a manual grinder for cooked rabbit meat, however, for shepherd's pie, pot pies etc. I usually just chop the cooked meat with a knife for rabbit salad sandwiches or meat pies. I'm not quite sure what you mean by using rabbit for bacon. I know some people do smoke rabbit meat and it sounds very good, but have not tried it myself.

I don't think bacon is a possibility, there isn't a big enough cut to slice, nor enough fat on it to sizzle. But for sandwiches, you can make it chopped fine with mayo, like chicken or tuna, and the loins can be boned before cooking and sliced like chicken breast.

I have a dry cure corned beef recipe that I have been wanting to try on some boneless cuts, I also think a "Canadian Bacon" recipe would work alright on the loin portions and would cure really fast with an end product kind of like ham.

United States style belly bacon isn't going to happen from any rabbit I have ever seen.

I prefer turkey bacon to pork bacon, to be honest. Okay, so I can de-bone and use and electric grinder to make some ground rabbit for burgers, spaghetti, etc. Yum! :)

I am going to post a link here for the first time. I have ground and used the breakfast sausage recipe and it was great. My kids and wife all liked it. I have talked to the lady that has the site and she has used larger rabbits to make ham. She is also using it to make chicken fried steak. I am just waiting for litters to grow out so I can try more of the feaux pork products.

Dan

http://www.rexrabbitsusa.com/

I have made several batches of sausages before, but never smoked and cured thin strips.
When I made sausage, I always mix in a real fatty piece of pork. Suggestions on what has worked for me:

* 11-12 fryers, deboned, makes about 20 pounds of cutlets.
* Freezing the cutlets greatly improve their ease of grinding. Not frozen solid, but harder than just refrigerator chilled.

Recipes:
* Mix 5 pounds of fatty pork (a 5-6 pound pork butt) into 20 pounds rabbit cutlets, with enough Italian seasoning for 25 pounds
* Pick up the thick cut bacon ends and pieces at the deli or meat counter. Again, 5 pounds of bacon ends to 11-12 fryers mixed with a breakfast sausage seasoning makes my favorite sausage in the whole world!

25 pounds of each may be a lot for some to process at once, so adjust accordingly!

Back