Rabbit Co-op?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LASGSD

Reaction score
I know people that sell 'shares' in the produce they get from their gardens. Could you do the same with rabbits?

I will be raising mainly for the raw feeding market (and my own dogs). I was thinking I could charge an initial joining fee (to offset the costs of building materials and basic supplies and the purchase of a rabbit) then charge a set fee per rabbit per month.

I would breed that rabbit and any offspring would belong to that person. I would offer to butcher for them for a fee (maybe one kit from a litter or something).

The Benefits

Less initial costs out of my pocket to get started and less monthly costs.
People get a continuing supply of naturally raised and fed rabbits. They can purchase several rabbits to get more offspring and can sell out at any time.

The Downsides

Since I want to raise colony style it will be difficult (if not impossible) to determine which doe has which kits.
Shareholder runs the risk of getting NO offspring (probably slim but still a chance).

Thoughts??

I guess you could model it off of "herd share". Each person buys a share in the herd (colony), and then pays "boarding fees" each time they get a gallon of milk (rabbit). In herd shares, they limit the risk of getting NO return by splitting the benefits according to share. In other words, a share would entitle the owner to a percentage of ALL kits, not just those from one doe.

Look up some of the goat and cow herd shares as a model. It's an interesting concept. I like this idea a lot.

People do this but in order to run a successful herd share you need to have a contract written up and signed by all who are involved, so in case any trouble comes up with someone claiming ownership, wanting out etc they're aware of all the rules you've set down for the herd share.

I would offer colony raising but also give the option for hutches or a cage if the person wants because they are paying a fee for the rabbit it should be up to them how they want it raised some people like the colony setting but for someone like me I like the controlled setting where there are less variables for things to go wrong especially with litters. I like to know which doe had which litter, I like that another rabbit can't interfere with another does litter, and the doe isn't going to have to compete for food because she may not be at the top of the rabbit hierarchy.

But if you're not purchasing or paying for the care of an individual rabbit, but for the "herd of rabbits" as a whole...how would you differentiate?

Seems like it would have to be a take-it or leave-it situation, and you would have to make it abundantly clear that the share holders have no actual say whatsoever in the way the animals are raised or cared for, but they are welcome to opt out of the program at any time.

You do realize that the FDA and USDA are shutting down the 'share' herd with real life black helicopters etc. esp. under the the last 'food security' law passed.

Jack":buvd3ckb said:
You do realize that the FDA and USDA are shutting down the 'share' herd with real life black helicopters etc. esp. under the the last 'food security' law passed.
Isn't it nice how they keep us so nice and "safe", by deciding to make more and more of our decisions for us? We don't know what is best for us, but they do.

The share thing is already illegal here, don't know how long it has been. Selling raw milk is illegal here, too, and not just for human consumption.

I see it, I really do, it was passed to reduce tuberculosis, which it did, but now we don't have that problem, and I can attest to the flavor difference, my uncle Lloyd would host the Saturday meal, our big family get together, when I was a child, and there is nothing like real fresh WHOLE milk in creamed potatoes and creamed corn, or fresh whipped cream on strawberries.

Yes Jack,
but, we are [as a nation] so full of unnecessary
medications and added toxins which the Gov't
seems to be placing or at the very least allowing in our food.
With one hand they claim to be protecting us from ourselves,
while with the other hand they are or may be unnecessarily
medicating us without our knowledge!
Are we really any safer than we were back in the 50's and 60's?
Things that make you say: Hmm!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Yeah but on the other hand, when was the last love canal?
You can do it, I would rather look at it as a business side, group a number of producers so that you can supply the specialty market such as gourmet restaurants or provide animals to a organic groups to distribute for you. (live, I know, but you bypass so much BS this way)

I was surfing an organic website two days ago-(New Farm- Rodale Institute)- farm fields are being sprayed with Triclosan, the antibacterial in hand sanitizers, because of the use of sewage sludge as fertilizer. Anyone have an issue withthat? I certainly do!
ANd, Herd shares for rabbits- sounds good, like a CSA for meat products. Hey, partner up with a vegetable producer and do the organic food CSA thing--

Triclosan yes
properly cured and measured (you can have heavy metals concentrated in sludge)
No

Terry, that's a good idea about partnering up with an existing CSA. I've actually touched base with the one here locally before, but didn't understand the meat laws yet. They were interested. In Alaska, we're actually allowed an exemption of something like 2,000 animals butchered and sold directly from farm to consumer without USDA processing. It seems like somehow it could be worked out, and they could just take orders along with the boxes or something? Not sure. I also think I could sale a fare number of my allotment "direct from farm" since I literally live right downtown now with all kinds of yuppies.

I think the co-op idea is really a great one! I would be interested in my area so I would imagine others will be in yours. I would really dig deep and research the laws involved especially with some of them being recently changed and find out how other meat CSA's work-you could probably contact the people running them and they could tell you their experiences etc. I wouldn't put the CSA rabbits in with yours though...if you show or use some for your own freezer I would keep them all separate for records even though it might be a pain keeping two separate sets of records and two operations.

Thanks for the tips!! I think I've got something I can work with.

Since I'm not raising for human consumption there are no laws I need to worry about. Now to figure out all the details.

Back