Questions about Nest Building and First Time Mom

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kukupecpec

Reaction score
I've got one doe that has had a handful of litters with us but she came to me as a seasoned momma.
This is my first time with a first time momma bunny so I have a few questions.
If the breeding took, she will be 28 days on Apr 13th. She has been carrying around mouthfuls of hay (my other momma does this when she starts to make the nest, just carting the bunches around and not eating them, looks super cute!) and it looks like she has started to make a pile of fur in the corner of her flake of hay.
I haven't given her a nest box yet because it's so early, should I put the box in now? Should I put her fur and hay in there to give her a little guidance or let her move stuff around when she feels like it?

Is there anything I should look out for with her as a first timer? She is almost a year old, I know age can make a difference for first timers so just in case this helps with any advice you can give me =)

Thanks!

If I see suspicious behavior, I always provide a nestbox. Sometimes , they are pregnant when the seller assured me they aren't, and sometimes they will just be restless until that nest is built. Either way, the box doesn't hurt ;)

I've heard lots about rabbits using the box as a litter box. Misty is a pretty reliable with her litter box so I didn't know if that could be bad or not.
Should I move her "suspicious" nesting material to the nest box too?

You, can. And yeah, they might use it as a litter box. Watch for that, and simply remove it or clean it as needed. Having a doe potty in a nestbox doesn't bother me nearly as much as losing a litter on the wire..

That is a very good point! Id rather they be born in a little messy hay that I can switch out later =)
Thanks!

If your doe is good at having a "potty corner", and if there's room, I would put the nest box in in a different corner from her litter box. Another problem with the doe using the nest box to potty is that if she spends more time in the nest box, she can crush the kits. I would take every precaution to make sure she isn't using it for anything more than nursing. If she does start to use it as a litter box, consider taking the nest box out once the kits are born and bringing it back to her twice a day for nursing.

I have two does due within a week. I just added their nest boxes. As they both use set spots in their cages to potty, I just added the boxes to opposite corners. I have not seen any evidence of them using the nest boxes to potty so far.

I've been bringing my other kits out to Red twice a day to nurse - I was having trouble keeping the kits in the nest box so we decided just to keep it inside with us - is it possible that she only feeds them once a day? When I take them out at night she won't let them nurse, but by morning she is ready, although she only allows it for maybe a minute, usually less. Is this normal?

Back