question regarding scattered white hairs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexisbest

Reaction score
Hey all, just had our first litter a few weeks ago and notice white hairs on the face mixed in with black. Is this something that typically sheds out?? Attaching picture of Mini Rex kit. Any input appreciated :)<br /><br />__________ Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:22 pm __________<br /><br />I attached pic of mom, as you can see she is solid black....just trying to sort this all out....

Attachments

• will.jpg
    will.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 793
  • minnie.jpg
    minnie.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 791
I am not a Rex person, but in Broken Havana's I notice that the white hairs tend to increase as the rabbit gets older and it is a fault with scattered white hairs in markings. I took a quick glance at SOP and it is the same for Mini Rex. It is also a DQ if "excessive amount of scattered white hairs in the colored markings".

Some do some don't.
My herd sire does have shattered white hairs, it was mentioned by the judge, but not enough to keep him from going 2 of 11 twice at 6 mos. Judge mentioned he will be nice when he reaches prime, but prime has come and gone, and still lots of scattered white hairs. Just one of those things that happen with brokens. Keep the kit if worth keeping and watch your line, then you will know if your line will shed out or not. I'm pretty sure now after 6 plus litters of brokens with this buck that mine won't.

This is a question I have had too. In the reading I've done on it, it seems that whether it goes away, stays the same or gets worse depends on which gene is causing it. And there are multiple genes that can cause it.

One is vienna(v), another is silvering(si); apparently steel(ES) can cause it too; and then there are the two spotting or broken genes, dutch(du) and english(En).

There are some modifier genes that affect how much develops, they are the genes that make the difference in silvering between silver fox and the various argent breeds. These modifiers can be inherited totally separate from the main genes.

There are two genes that cause temporary white in juveniles. One, 'snowball', causes white undercoat that goes away; the other, 'frosty', causes white guard hairs that go away. They both disappear when the fully senior coat comes in. I get snowball a lot in my herd, they go through a phase where they look like sallanders!

My senior animals slowly develop scattered white hairs over time. There are none in their first senior coat, then a few the next molt, then a few more. It's really annoying. Since I have beverens I'm guessing the source is vienna, which is present in all my bloodlines from three to six generations ago. I guess I'll never be rid of it. :thinking:

So far the kit is nice in type, going to put them all on the table and get judges opinion before I cull. This one is my number 2 pick out of 4 kits.....but was the only broken black, and those are my absolute favorites!!!!! I will play the wait and see game

Sometimes the coat will even out on a broken as they get older so if you have the space I'd hold on to a good one until it's a senior. If it doesn't even out I don't think it's a dq in mini rex but it is a bad pattern and will place lower than a rabbit with a cleaner pattern.

akane":13j6t0k1 said:
Sometimes the coat will even out on a broken as they get older so if you have the space I'd hold on to a good one until it's a senior. If it doesn't even out I don't think it's a dq in mini rex but it is a bad pattern and will place lower than a rabbit with a cleaner pattern.

I agree.

I have seen this many times, normally they clean up as they get their senior coat. The edges are just a little mixed with white right now which is different than having random scattered whites throughout the black patches. Cute kit nice head and ears on him!

Cindi Davis":16nsd5gs said:
I had heard that in markings there wasnt to be any white hairs period. hmmmm Curious

It's really hard not to get some white hairs in a broken. the edge lines are not always that easily defined. Not a big deal in Rex, maybe in dutch.

Back