Purina Food Recall?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peach

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Today, I got a glimpse of a facebook status that read Purina foods for water fowl was being recalled. She also said she had recently switched to Purina Show and noticed loose stools in her rabbits, so she switched back to Manna Pro. I recently switched to Manna Pro Growth and I just haven't used it long enough to see many results(. (Especially since I'm away on vacation!) I do feel like their coats have been improving.People have been posting their experience with Purina that they will say things aren't being recalled, and the a day or two later, they are on the recall list. I'm kinda glad that I've switched feeds.

I feed manna pro gro and my rabbits do great on it and as you can see my popples are shiny! I saw there was a recall too, seems to happen a lot with purina foods.

well maybe im missing it,,,,,but i have yet yet to find any purina label rabbit feed that was recalled. I see recalls on mazuri ,but thats not a purina label , its just owned by purina. A lot of other feeds were affected though.

Still checking - but with all the recalls - I would not chance it.
Some of these feeds actually have the Purina brand/name

Purina fish and horse food recall
http://www.askavetquestion.com/news/201 ... od-recall/
Cat - Recall on Nestle Purina OM Formula
http://www.askavetquestion.com/news/201 ... m-formula/
Cat - Recall on Wellness Cat Food
http://www.askavetquestion.com/news/201 ... -cat-food/

The following products are affected:

Aquamax – fish feed
Lab Diet – guinea pigs and other rodents, monkeys and other primates, frogs
Mazuri - game birds, small birds, parrots, waterfowl, guinea pigs, monkeys and other primates, rodents, fish, kangaroo, flamingo, crane, wolf, moose, zebra, mouse, koi, rabbit, turtle, bear, ornamental fish
For a complete list of product codes and names, you can see the FDA website.

I think the various purina foods are really managed by separate companies, but they have a license to use the purina trademark. So because poultry food was recalled doesn't necessarily mean that purina rabbit food is less safe than any other brand. But still - scary.

Any time a product is produced with multiple ingredients, mistakes can be made. The problem is that these feeds are produced in such quantity that they have a wide impact.

I am glad I no longer feed pellets, and instead buy the individual ingredients and mix them myself. But it still has risks, since I am not in total control of the growing and milling. I find bits of corn mixed in with the grain, because plants don't mill just one product. There is also the risk that a batch may be contaminated with mold or fungus. Even the salt blocks could have compounding errors and have unsafe levels of a certain mineral.

I guess it is a matter of finding your comfort level, and going from there. For those that feed pellets, it would probably be wise to buy enough quantity to last a week or two into the next production run so that if there is a problem with a batch others will find out first to the detriment of their animals and spare your own. The loss of some vitamins in storage would be preferable to me than the alternative of losing members of my herd, especially considering that fresh greens can be fed to make up for that loss.

I try to buy pellets made in Perris CA just a short way North of here. They grow a lot of alfalfa there so there is a higher percentage of it than there is in nationwide brands.
I keep pellets in the cage for backup but most of my feeding comes from rabbit greens I grow in my rabbit patch; red clover, chicory and the wild weeds I know they like. When they are getting plenty of greens they barely nibble at the pellets.
Contrary to popular opinion I find that leaves of plants from the cabbage family are excellent so long as you introduce them gradually to get the proper intestinal organisms present to handle them. Once that happens you can feed quite a bit of them with no ill effects. They are especially good for does making milk; lots of protein and calcium.

Mine do fine on Purina Complete pellets. They also get whole oats, hay and loads of assorted weedy greens every day.

Back