Pros & Cons of choosing to focus on one breed or multiple

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhWRabbitry

Reaction score
For those that have been into rabbit breeding for a somewhat extended period of time I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts/experience as far as the pros/cons of focusing on breeding one breed or instead breeding multiple breeds in your rabbitry.

I keep going back and forth on what I want to do!!
First of all, I am breeding for pet, with possibility of some of the rabbits being starters for 4-H kids. I started out with the plan of Lionheads & Mini Lops. Then I ended up with a couple Hollands. I was recently planning to go to just focusing on Mini Lops and selling the others off, as I found them to to have the most laid back personalities.
However, I know I'm a person who likes variety/change in life and I'm thinking having multiple breeds would keep things more interesting for me. All I would need to purchase to have a pair of each at this point is a Lionhead doe.
I'm curious market wise if it would end up better to have the variety or if being focused on one is better for reasons I might not think of.

Love to hear any feedback, pros/cons you think of/have experienced.
Thanks, as always, for being such a helpful group!!
Joanna

Multiple breeds means SPACE and you'll have to pay for starting stock for each breed where with one breed you can breed them for more does and bucks and then breed partial siblings or parent/offspring and expand your rabbits for awhile without spending money on more rabbits. Each breed will need it's own buck and usually a backup buck plus does. Also how often do you want each breed to produce young? You might end up with too many litters or again the need for space for that many litters if you are trying to get a litter or 2 out of each breed at the same time to have enough for show, sell, or meat depending on the breed's purpose. Really that's the only downside compared to concentrating on one breed. Each breed you choose doubles the work and space required.

I agree, cage space if the biggest issue.

It takes cage space to breed for improvement. You could get by for a while by breeding two rabbits together and selling their kits as pets.
It's not the best tactic to market them for 4-h unless they really are show quality. I don't feel it would be very fair or kind to stick beginner 4-h kids with really faulty rabbits. So you would need to find a breeder who actually knows how to put together pair that will produce good kits.

I would suggest that you pick the breed that most interests you,
stick with it for a good long while so that you can learn the ins and outs of the breed.
You will be better able to perfect that breed to the point of excellence you are
wishing to reach. Working on too many breeds at one time may limit the time needed to perfect any one of them. As always, JMPO.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I have several breeds and have had several accidental litters :x - some of which have gone into my meat mutt bloodline :mrgreen: If you plan to sell pedigreed stock you must have excellent records, and security, to be sure there aren't any "oops" litters.

Keeping several bucks from each breed can be a pain if they have any bad habits like spraying :( and you must be careful they don't come into contact with each other either by getting loose or through cage bars. Some males are very feisty and will attack their owners if they have the scent of another male on them - keep this in mind if you have kids handling the rabbits.

Mini Lops come in so many colours that I don't get bored at all. I use to have ND but I no longer have the patience to deal with the more high strung rabbit breeds so MLops are the only pet breed I'll ever produce.

I have two breeds and am strongly considering going to one, cage space is the main issue. Think of it this way, you buy a pair and produce F1 crosses, you are never going to better your line or move your program forward if you aren't keeping offspring, growing them out to see what works and making improvements. With too many breeds where will you invest with new stock?

When I see someone with lots of breeds, I always think "jack of all trades, master of none" exception being if is a family with several people raising rabbits.

Slightly different suggestion might be to consider some of the heritage breeds that are on the ALBC list. Many blood lines now are in the sole providence of hobby raisers and need support and expansion to save the breed.

you are never going to better your line or move your program forward if you aren't keeping offspring, growing them out to see what works and making improvements. With too many breeds where will you invest with new stock?

I'm even finding this problem with too many colors of one breed. I wanted regular chinchilla, ermine/frosty chinchilla, broken, self versions including sallanders, and I have some otter/marten that I don't want in there but lack of quality starting stock led to me keeping less than ideal color genes. I realized I was spreading myself too thin. I am getting rid of all otter/marten except a pet buck despite any loss of hidden useful genetics. I am not concentrating on self colors and just keeping my one self doe for the chocolate genes instead. I'm on the fence about the brokens. I am waiting for a doe bred by my broken buck to see if I have any useful colors or should cull the brokens. Keeping enough offspring to further the chinchilla and ermine colors takes up enough space and effort. Some breeds you also run into colors you cannot cross to other colors like reds because of the wideband or castor in rex because the banding is sensitive to red or black influences. Then not only do you need separate bucks and does by breed but also a pair/trio per color.

I decided to concentrate on two varieties of Rex for just this reason. Of course I had to make things hard on myself by choosing two varieties that shouldn't be crossed but I'm going with what I like and I have just * * enough space to do it

Me personally I was having a hard time focusing on 1 breed since I started with mutts. I've tried different breeds like Netherland Dwarfs and Mini Lops but they were not for me, I normally like BIG rabbits and breed Flemish Giants for a while and did great with them! many have won in shows and I got spoiled on their laid back temperament So now that I know what turns me on so to speak I started looking for rabbits with mellow temperaments.

So with that in mind I'm going to focuses on Mini and Standered rex this year but the most on my Himialayns. They really are a great rabbits to have and not worry about getting scratched or bit as much as with the New Zealands I have (they are for my meat pen now).

My angoras are more for fiber then show or pets so I just use them for that, if I found a way to sale them for show then I would they are expensive rabbits.

Coming from the perspective of a possible buyer.... when someone has too many breeds of anything, I start thinking "puppymill". What's too many breeds? I don't think there's necessarily a set number, but more of a mindset when a breeder is just dabbling in many different or unrelated breeds... you start to see a lack of focus on the perfection of one or all of them. If you've got 2 breeds you're serious about.. not a big deal. 2 breeds and a hobby 3rd.. not a big deal. If you were to try and convince me that you've got 5-6 breeds you're seriously working on.... yeah, sorry, I'm not buying that. We went through a family member finding a puppy not long ago, and anyone who had 3 breeds or more tended to be pretty sloppy with the standards.. so maybe that's shaped my thinking some.

I started out working with 1 breed (lionheads). Now I have a lionhead holland cross pair, a french angora trio, a vlop pair and working on an elop pair. I like having multiple breed because it appeals to me. I don't show right now and breed for the pet market. I breed what appeals to me and what sells.

I only have 11 holes total. That makes it really tough to keep enough rabbits of one breed much less a second.

I'm not certain I'd add a second breed even if I had the space as my breed of choice (Rex) gives me the best of both worlds in meat & fur and the potential colors are almost limitless.

I appreciate hearing everyone's perspective. What has made it a hard decision for me is that I started out with multiple breeds - so I'm use to the variety. However the more I think about it (and hold my Mini Lop Buck - who is such a sweetheart) the more I'm reminded of how much I like the temperament of the Mini Lops we have the best. They are the ones I feel best about selling to families as pets and that is our market right now. I currently have 7 "holes". A large 5 compartment hutch and 2 smaller hutches. But, in soon moving the rabbits into a building/shop area we are going down to 6 holes ( 2 sets of stackable Klubertanz cages). I must admit I'm a bit jealous of you folks that have 18+ holes! ha I can only imagine all the options!!
I believe I'm going to continue forward with the thought of focusing on the Mini lops. I do need to hold onto one Lionhead buck though - even if just for a pet, as early on I made the mistake of promising my youngest daughter "no, we'll never get rid of him". (Regretting that one!)

WhWRabbitry":srvl0kuk said:
I currently have 7 "holes". A large 5 compartment hutch and 2 smaller hutches. But, in soon moving the rabbits into a building/shop area we are going down to 6 holes ( 2 sets of stackable Klubertanz cages). I must admit I'm a bit jealous of you folks that have 18+ holes! ha I can only (Regretting that one!)

I have to smile. I see you joined RT last month. We started with 2 Holland Lops in about March of this year....... I won't tell you how many holes we have in our finished & attached 2 car garage (along with both cars) due to our love of rabbits. Let me just say we have a "bunch" of holes. :? :?

I tend to believe your "6" holes won't fill the "bunny addiction" (that we all have) very long.

Focus on the Mini's that you spoke about and spend your time figuring out how you can at least triple your current number of holes.......... because you will! :D :D :D

jimmywalt":slpj8p81 said:
I tend to believe your "6" holes won't fill the "bunny addiction" (that we all have) very long.

I don't think a hundred holes would be "enough" for me , I'd still be looking for ways to expand.

Rabbits are like alcohol to an alcoholic , one is too many & a thousand never enough.

I'm "planning" on redesigning my "rabbit barn" to somehow double the current 11 holes along with making other improvements. Lots of idea's ... being thrown at the chalkboard right now.

Then I'll be trying to double that doubled cage space .... :?

Jimmywalt & Ramjet - Lol, trust me, if it was up to me, I would have MUCH more than 6! To my husband me having 6 is a lot! Getting any was a big compromise on my husband's part... then his blessing to buy cages and move them from the outdoors to the shop behind our garage - that is a miracle! Maybe if things go well and I can keep the shop area very well kept through this in time he'll warm up to the idea of me having more. If not, I'll enjoy what I have. He likes animals but not inside any part of his dwelling and only in moderation. I'm counting my blessings to have "discovered" rabbits... an animal my daughters and I can enjoy yet doesn't have to be inside the house where that causes a problem for him. I was telling him that to most rabbit people 18 holes would be small and his eyes about popped out! ha It's good though... he keeps me in balance! I'd end up with a crazy amount I'm sure if it wasn't for him. I'm an artist personality and he's an accountant! :D

Hello WhWrabbitry,
trust me, if you have 6 rabbits now,
you WILL have more in the future!
My Rabbitry started with "one" Rabbit.
A pet to my daughter from a neighbor at Easter,
I cannot remember how many years ago.
We grew into more than 160, with my Wife,my Daughter and I
each having our own breed/breeds. You will NEVER be able to rid yourself
of this addiction without extensive help.
I have since weaned myself down to only 16 holes.
Oh, I have some cages and other rabbit equipment for sale
if anyone wants to come and pick it up?
I plan on a yard sale this spring/summer, time to remove some of the temptation
from my sight. Oh yeah, once your are bitten the infection can NEVER be CURED!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I started this hobby 4 1/2 years ago with about six cages. I few months later, I bought 24 more used ones, and built four large hutches. This summer, I bought sixteen more used cages. I am at my limit, because if I buy more it will be work and not fun any more. I do not keep the cages all full, and I have four breeds right now. I cull heavily and keep only the best. Part of the fun for me has been trying different breeds (15, I think) over the years, and with so many cages I have been able to do that. Whether to focus on one breed or several depends on what your goals are. I like to show and have meat, and I've liked the idea of keeping a rare breed though they have been difficult due to their health issues. So, I have the elops as my "love them" breed, the Lilacs for my rare and meat breed, and a few velveteens for fun. I recently added the mini lops for show and meat because often there are not enough breeders at shows for legs with the elops and Lilacs, but with the MLs, there is enough competition to keep showing fun. If I was just doing meat and only had a few cages, I would probably stick with only one breed.

Latest posts

Back