Problem ?? or not ??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have to admit that i am totally stumped with this. And have not had, whatever it might be, to deal with in the past.

It "looks" like the photos of vent disease. tiny scabs on the vent area. But these animals have been here for months and months. Whatever it is... only showed up during the last Bitter cold stretch of March. No bunny has gone to a show... No new stock brought in. No sores on any muzzles or faces.... During that stretch... cages were not kept as clean as i would like. Stuf was frozen solid to the floors. The one rabbit that Most concerns me... made a gosh awful disaster of his cage !
Now that we have gotten thing cleaned as they should be... the vent areas are looking clean again..... but i am completely paranoid that there are issues.

Is there anything that resembles vent disease ??? or am i merely fooling myself by hoping that there might be something besides vent disease ???

The only thing I can think of that might resemble vent disease is the crust that can develop with fungal and/or bacterial infections. Blu-Kote is effective against both, but will stain the animals (and you!) for a long time.

If any are still showing symptoms, I would recommend using a fine-toothed comb such as a flea comb to remove as much crust as possible, shave the fur in any matted areas, and then spray liberally with Blu-Kote.

VD can not show for a very long time. Is there any possibility they'd been topically treated before you got them? Its possible to treat topically and it not show for a while and then using one buck that's not showing signs can spread it before its even known (if been breeding or they were housed close/in same cage, etc).

I've had them since last September... Up until the bitter cold hit... they all looked fine when checked. Sadly when the cold hit... i did not spend as much time in the barn as normal. So i'm not exact as to when the boo-boo bums started. And it was only two rabbits that seemed to had a problem.( both made a mess of their cages... between shedding fur freezing and hay mixing with the frozen fur... it was not what i want them to have... :p )

Latest posts

Back