Primitive Rabbit skin blanket directions.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks cool. I have no idea how to tan hides. I do have a couple saved for future attempts Maybe I'll keep some this winter and try it out.

The best way I've found to tan hides is to alum tan. It's quick, easy, and probably one of the least toxic ways to tan hides. I've pickle tanned a few squirrels before ( salt and vinegar) but they have to be refinished if they get wet. The alum hides don't. If you do a quick google search for alum tanning you can find some results. I think the article I based my process on was from an old Mother Earth News magazine, but I can't remember.

Nice blanket idea! Now if I only had l, oh, say, another 48 hides laying around, I'd be set! :D

That's beautiful! But I don't really understand the instructions either. We need a pic tutorial!

The method their talking about is to basically fold the strip in half, and then twist it like your spinning yarn. Or at least that's how it reads to me! Will try it when I have enough skins. ( I need meat mommas! )

After that its basically woven together, with the hides as the warp ( up and down for those of you who don't know weaving lingo) and the cotton cordage is the weft. ( side to side). Simple enough idea. Can't wait to get enough skins to try it out!<br /><br />__________ Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:19 pm __________<br /><br />Just read the article again, those 50 hides only made a 3'x4.5' blanket. I know I'm not that big, but I want a blanket, not a napkin!!! Geez, make that 50 hides more like 80. It's gonna be a while...

I am saving hides for this blanket and 3' x 4 1/2' is plenty big enough as a lap rug for my chair. I couldn't put this on my bed-my dogs would eat it in one night.

PSFAngoras":2gig24u4 said:
The method their talking about is to basically fold the strip in half, and then twist it like your spinning yarn. Or at least that's how it reads to me! Will try it when I have enough skins. ( I need meat mommas! )

After that its basically woven together, with the hides as the warp ( up and down for those of you who don't know weaving lingo) and the cotton cordage is the weft. ( side to side). Simple enough idea. Can't wait to get enough skins to try it out!

:shock: :?

Um, how about if I just save a lot of hides and send them to you so you can make me one! :p

:D I'd be tempted to accept your offer if I didn't have a million other projects started at the moment! At least by saving/ tanning my own skins it should be a few years before I have enough. I should have some projects done by then, right?

I saw that one but haven't used it because I can't seem to understand it how to go about it. If someone showed me or there was a youtube vid about it I'd definitely give it a try but I haven't found either of those.

the across chords don't just weave in and out of the skin strips, think of two chords going across, they go around opposite sides of the strip then twist go around the second strip then twist....etc. At least that's my interpretation of it....they are only using one chord and turning around to come back and do the twists. But you could twist the two chords past the last strip then turn around....

mystang89":hw64f83k said:
I saw that one but haven't used it because I can't seem to understand it how to go about it. If someone showed me or there was a youtube vid about it I'd definitely give it a try but I haven't found either of those.
I can't wrap my brain around killing a rabbit *just* for its fur. :( But if you need to eat a rabbit for food and then save its fur (so that nothing is wasted), that at least makes sense to me. :) (Just another manifestation of Fuzzy Bunny Syndrome, no doubt.)

But wearing yet another hat, I do basic weaving, and found this video on twining as used in backstrap weaving by the Montagnards in Southeast Asia. The narrator--and worker!--is a visitor to the culture, so she is learning as she goes, just like anyone would, including people from this forum. There are multiple videos at the website; the one that gets right to it with the twining comes immediately after the phrase "and therefore not have a bulky knot interfering with your seam."

The relative widths of the warp and the twined fibers make the difference as to which one shows in the final product. In the case of the strap shown in the video, the twined fibers are wider than the warp fibers; thus the weft shows at the end (a "weft-faced" weave). The rabbit blanket has very large strips for the "warp," and the twining "cord" is recommended as a strong thread. Therefore, the rabbit is what shows ultimately, while it's held in place by the twined thread.

Did anyone else check the website for the price of tanned rabbit hides? not a buck and a half anymore, lol! must be an old article!

DogCatMom":1dogqnks said:
I can't wrap my brain around killing a rabbit *just* for its fur. :( But if you need to eat a rabbit for food and then save its fur (so that nothing is wasted), that at least makes sense to me. :) (Just another manifestation of Fuzzy Bunny Syndrome, no doubt.)

I doubt anyone raises rabbits solely for their pelts. Even if that were their main impetus, I'm sure the carcasses would be sold either for pet or human consumption, otherwise it would not be profitable at all.

Fuzzy Bunny Syndrome aside, it would be a shocking waste of resources to discard the carcass of any animal and simply harvest the fur. I would think that even "inedible" animals such as foxes would be sold to a rendering plant by commercial operations.

DogCatMom":39y663s3 said:
mystang89":39y663s3 said:
I've got all my washed pelts in the freezer. We don't eat organ meat (yet) and the dogs won't eat it either (lost cause), so I won't be letting that warm, soft pelt go to waste.

DogCatMom":34aggj05 said:
I agree with MSD... that's not Fuzzy Bunny Syndrome. It would be a horrible waste to strip the animal of its hide and discard the rest.

RJSchaefer":1m4a2jfr said:
I've got all my washed pelts in the freezer. We don't eat organ meat (yet) and the dogs won't eat it either (lost cause), so I won't be letting that warm, soft pelt go to waste.
I can't say what rabbit organs are like (obviously), but I *have* eaten organs of other animals: lamb liver, kidney, tongue; chicken heart, liver; beef heart, kidney; calf liver.

Her Ladyship, LittleGirlDog, even as a young dog wouldn't eat raw meat or organs. Oh, no, not her. :roll: We had to warm them up a bit, either in the microwave or via a quick sauté in their own fat (dogs don't have quite the cholesterol concerns that people do). Then a rough-cut with a knife and it was fit for Herself. Meanwhile, whatever Boy Dog was in residence was waiting impatiently for the meat and wondering if we would ever give him any! :lol:

DogCatMom":1ts82or4 said:
mystang89":1ts82or4 said:

I always save my hides. Okay once I did not...I nicked the hide so many times it was more HOLES than hide, and I did discard that one. But other than that one hide, I save them all. :)

Bad Habit":1ts82or4 said:
Did anyone else check the website for the price of tanned rabbit hides? not a buck and a half anymore, lol! must be an old article!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

MamaSheepdog":1ts82or4 said:

I doubt anyone raises rabbits solely for their pelts. Even if that were their main impetus, I'm sure the carcasses would be sold either for pet or human consumption, otherwise it would not be profitable at all.

Fuzzy Bunny Syndrome aside, it would be a shocking waste of resources to discard the carcass of any animal and simply harvest the fur. I would think that even "inedible" animals such as foxes would be sold to a rendering plant by commercial operations.

Too true.

Plus...I don't have a problem with fur farming so long as the animals (rabbits and otherwise) are well cared for. I saw a video of some REALLY cute, happy little mink on a mink farm recently...they were such happy critters! Those mink at least have a happy life, so I don't mind that they become furs later. :)

Though as MSD said, in regards to rabbits and even most other critters the carcass is worth something; plus the fur rabbit breeds tend to also be good COMMERCIAL type breeds. :mrgreen:

Miss M":1ts82or4 said:
I agree with MSD... that's not Fuzzy Bunny Syndrome. It would be a horrible waste to strip the animal of its hide and discard the rest.

Too true!

RJSchaefer":1ts82or4 said:
I can't say what rabbit organs are like (obviously), but I *have* eaten organs of other animals: lamb liver, kidney, tongue; chicken heart, liver; beef heart, kidney; calf liver.

Her Ladyship, LittleGirlDog, even as a young dog wouldn't eat raw meat or organs. Oh, no, not her. :roll: We had to warm them up a bit, either in the microwave or via a quick sauté in their own fat (dogs don't have quite the cholesterol concerns that people do). Then a rough-cut with a knife and it was fit for Herself. Meanwhile, whatever Boy Dog was in residence was waiting impatiently for the meat and wondering if we would ever give him any! :lol:

I love venison liver. :) I grind the heart and kidneys of my deer for chili.

My dear Cocker Spaniel, Bingerton, was SUCH a princess, LOL!!!! He was adorable. I was dispatching and processing a bunch of ducks, and I decided to give the dogs a treat: organs right from the duck! I gave Cricket (tiny Chihuahua beast) a kidney, which she ate whole...and then handed the liver to Bingerton. I grabbed it, then spat it out onto the floor. Poor guy, he was so shocked, and he looked so offended!!! Looked at the liver, then looked at me as if to say, "YOU DIDN'T COOK THAT FIRST!" Well, Cricket rushed over, grabbed the liver, and...it was hilarious, watching my three-pound tiny dog hork down a giant duck liver whole, while the poor Cocker looked on, all disgusted!!! :lol: Dogs, eh? :roll:

Latest posts

Back