Pretty little lion lop

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ida1416

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
This girl was a surprise baby from a broken black otter mini lop doe I acquired. She popped out this little one. Looks like opal but also has white tipping at the ends. I have no idea what the daddy was aside from obviously being a lionhead. And such a full mane for one of her parents having none! Would you believe her whole body was trimmed 2 months ago. They always like to surprise us!

Attachments

• 20240110_191041.jpg
    20240110_191041.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240110_190957.jpg
    20240110_190957.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240110_191011.jpg
    20240110_191011.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240110_191030.jpg
    20240110_191030.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240110_190904.jpg
    20240110_190904.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240110_192049.jpg
    20240110_192049.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Snapchat-1828659271.jpg
    Snapchat-1828659271.jpg
    632.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Snapchat-153801565.jpg
    Snapchat-153801565.jpg
    803.4 KB · Views: 0
Coloring looks like Chinchilla but with the light cream/tan on the points I'd say it was something else

Coloring looks like Chinchilla but with the light cream/tan on the points I'd say it was something else
Right? Shes a unique girl. Sometimes when agouti is broken it can have white ticking alongside the markings but shes got it all over even in solidly colored areas. Hard to know when I know nothing about the father. Her name is Dumplin ☺️

I assume the broken black is mama? If so, I don't think she's a broken black. I don't think the tan eye rings make her an otter, either, as I see more tan on her neck. This is a closeup:
1705194116924.png
I think she is a tricolor, a broken harlequin. If so, it might explain the odd tan markings on the baby. One harlequin gene combined with a more dominant 'E' series gene can still affect coat color, it's called a 'harlequinized' coat. It often shows up around the ears, as your one photo shows.

I assume the broken black is mama? If so, I don't think she's a broken black. I don't think the tan eye rings make her an otter, either, as I see more tan on her neck. This is a closeup:
View attachment 38840
I think she is a tricolor, a broken harlequin. If so, it might explain the odd tan markings on the baby. One harlequin gene combined with a more dominant 'E' series gene can still affect coat color, it's called a 'harlequinized' coat. It often shows up around the ears, as your one photo shows.
Hmm...I am not sure. What you're saying make sense, but I'd really think if she was tri color she would have some orange hairs somewhere in that huge blanket of black on her back. But theres nothing. Solid black everywhere except for behind the ears, under the nose, and around the eyes. Is it possible for a rabbit with harlequin to have very few and far between markings and large areas of solid color like that? I'm not wanting to sound argumentative it would be really cool if she was a tri color with very few orange markings. And would explain the unique baby!

Attachments

• 20240110_192049.jpg
    20240110_192049.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240110_192046.jpg
    20240110_192046.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240110_192037.jpg
    20240110_192037.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Yeah, first glance it looks like chinchilla due to the surface color, but that wouldn't have tan on the ears and nose... That fur shot looks like a silver-tipped steel... But steel shouldn't have any tan, either, because the chinchilla gene that makes a silver-tipped steel prevents expression of most yellow pigments... I thought about the possibility that it was just the rustiness that some chinchilla (and STS) rabbits have when they're young, but usually that spreads across the nape, not the ears and nose.

Otters do have tan in the nape area, sometimes having a pretty extensive nape triangle; the doe still looks like a broken otter on my screen. However... the baby lion lop does have some suspicious darker patches on his body and ear that appear in one of the photos:
lion lop.jpg
I don't know if those are shadows or what, but looking closely at the picture of the hindquarters, I think I might see tan not only on the lower flank, where you might see it in an otter, but also higher up on his hindquarters:
lion lop hindquarter.jpg
I'm always open to blaming harlequin for inexplicable colors and patterns. :ROFLMAO: While I don't really see it on the doe, it wouldn't surprise me to find out the sire was (or carried) harlequin.

Do you see the areas I've arrowed on your little lion? It's a lot easier for you to tell what's there, given the trustworthiness of photography and computer screens.

Yeah, first glance it looks like chinchilla due to the surface color, but that wouldn't have tan on the ears and nose... That fur shot looks like a silver-tipped steel... But steel shouldn't have any tan, either, because the chinchilla gene that makes a silver-tipped steel prevents expression of most yellow pigments... I thought about the possibility that it was just the rustiness that some chinchilla (and STS) rabbits have when they're young, but usually that spreads across the nape, not the ears and nose.

Otters do have tan in the nape area, sometimes having a pretty extensive nape triangle; the doe still looks like a broken otter on my screen. However... the baby lion lop does have some suspicious darker patches on his body and ear that appear in one of the photos:
View attachment 38842
I don't know if those are shadows or what, but looking closely at the picture of the hindquarters, I think I might see tan not only on the lower flank, where you might see it in an otter, but also higher up on his hindquarters:
View attachment 38843
I'm always open to blaming harlequin for inexplicable colors and patterns. :ROFLMAO: While I don't really see it on the doe, it wouldn't surprise me to find out the sire was (or carried) harlequin.

Do you see the areas I've arrowed on your little lion? It's a lot easier for you to tell what's there, given the trustworthiness of photography and computer screens.
Yes, she has both darker gray spots in her blanket as well as areas with a warmer tan hue. Could the mom potentially carry harlequin?

Yes, she has both darker gray spots in her blanket as well as areas with a warmer tan hue. Could the mom potentially carry harlequin?
Well that's convincing enough for me! It sounds like @judymac called it.

Sometimes a single copy of harlequin shows up in the kind of subtle markings like you're describing in the little lion, but other times it hides completely until it pops out unexpectedly. It's a possibility that the dam carries <ej>, but it could just as easily be the buck. I know there is quite a lot of interest in developing harlie/tri lionheads, so it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

I'm still a little mystified to have those colors on what appears to be a chinchilla or silver-tipped steel, even if she is harlequinized. The chinchilla gene <cchd> should prevent that rusty color, even on a harlequin (they show up as magpies). Perhaps she's a harlequinized blue otter <at_B_C_ddEej>...?

Last edited:
Well well well...we may have our answer. Supposed black otter doe gave birth to a tri color baby. I waited to make sure but now its clear. She was bred to an orange that is confirmed to not have harlequin. So the harlequin came from her!

Attachments

• 20231125_095125.jpg
    20231125_095125.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Back