Pregnant with a broken leg?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessie15273

Reaction score
I have a doe who was in my lovely dog attack a couple of weeks ago. She had what I beleive to be, a broken leg. I kept her around as she still had 2 babies left that were only just over 2 weeks. The two babies died the next day. The mom didnt seem to be in too much pain so she stayed. What I didnt realize, was that I had re bred her, and she, along with my other 2 does are due the 17th. Well I guess that at least helped dry her up a little, seeing as she lost 5 babies. She was a first time mom and doing so great too!

What would you guys do? shes such a sweetie, and I have already lost 9 rabbits, but do you think she could make it?

She puts little to no weight on her rear right foot, but she gets around pretty good, she is eating and drinking as well.

I think she is physically capable of having a litter. HOWEVER... I'm not sure I'd be comfortable letting a doe I knew was injured get bred and raise kits. Remember that they are prey animals and will not necessarily show their pain or discomfort openly. I'm no expert, but I imagine the usual pains/stress of labour and birth would only be intensified with a broken leg... Even then, nursing and having the babies climb over you and constantly knock the leg could be a huge issue too.

Personally I would cull her to avoid any further suffering for the doe. If she hadn't already been bred I would of suggested keeping her and re-assessing in another couple of weeks/months after she has had the chance to heal. But asking her to give you a litter under these circumstances seems a little cruel to me. Of course it depends what you feel comfortable with and your own emotional and financial investment in her. If she was absolutely crucial to my breeding program I might consider just seeing how she does with the litter and culling her at first sign of any issues.

I would cull her. She is going to be getting heavier that is even more stress on her leg. Then the stress of labor and rearing kits I think would be a bit much.

I have the same issue, my doe, due on the 21st, broke her leg sometime this week. I waited a long time and paid a good amount for her, not wanting to cull her now. Is there anything safe to give a rabbit to abort early?

OP, if you do keep her, let me know how things turn out! Good luck!

I am not sure how your doe(s) (including Chickie's) will do carrying the extra weight of pregnancy, but I would monitor them carefully. As long as they are not exhibiting signs of pain or loss of appetite, I would give them a chance to raise their litters.

I had a doe, Jasper, that broke a hind leg when her kits were a few weeks old.

Surprisingly, she did very well and the leg eventually healed on its own. I bred her again a few months later.

lesson-learned-may-cost-me-a-good-doe-t8285.html

My mom said I cant put her down. So i guess I am just going to see how it goes... She is sort of walking today, like a little kit might, and she is putting weight on it. Perhaps she just fractured it. I dont think my mom could handle losing her, apparently when the dog bit her baby, she bit the dog. I am guessing she freaked out and managed to hurt herself.

If she does make it through, Ill try to foster some so that she has less to feed.

I completely forgot I had bred her. Ugh that dang dog! :x

Its hard to say without actually seeing her because if she is handling it well, eating and drinking, if she were mine I might be tempted to try to keep her. The one thing that worries me off the top of my head is, is there any broken skin or wounds that could become infected and be sure that the injury involves only her leg and not her pelvis or spine (could make delivery difficult to impossible) and if she seems comfortable, I'd try it. Keep in mind though she will be needing lots of nutritional support to aid in healing and raising a litter at the same time. I'll keep my fingers crossed, good luck! :)

Do you have access to any willow branches and leaves? The bark contains the same chemical used in aspirin, so it is a natural pain reliever.

She has no open wounds, she was the only one hurt who did not, she must have sat up on her nest box, the babies werent so lucky.

Unfortunatley I have no willow, I asked my grandpa when I found out she was hurt

Depending on how severe, I've had and English Lop mess up his leg at the knee and a baby Mini Lop get it's foot caught and it eventually healed but it's just in an awkward position and he's one of the biggest in the litter. The english lop ended up being pet out to a great family that takes him just about everywhere and the baby mini lop is just waiting to be sold into a pet home. I might recommend petting her out cause I'm not sure if I'd want to give birth with a seriously messed up leg, but then again it could heal up a decent amount that she could be a brood doe. Only you can determine how severe the damage is and the quality of life she will have by having her litters.

Latest posts

Back