Pregnant Doe - Day 40 *update & question - 12/15*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddy2511

Reaction score
Well, I bought a beautiful, broken chocolate brood doe last month and had her bred by the breeder before taking her home... I watched the breeding and know that the buck got 3-4 successful covers before we removed the doe.

Now, 40 days later, I don't know what to do...

I gave the doe her nest box on day 28, and from the minute I gave to her, and on through the next two days, she had huge haystaches and pulled lots of fur. Beautiful nest. No kits.

By day 35 I was really starting to wonder and I went in to palpate her; no movement but one "lump".

I gave her until today, day 40, but there is still nothing. I took her out of her cage and palpated more thoroughly just a little while ago. There is nothing in her belly but one small, hardish lump that feels a little larger than a placenta.

The doe, "Lollie", is acting perfectly normal and eating and drinking fine, but I have no idea what to do with her now. There is obviously no live kits...

I there anything I can do for her?

I would rebreed her, which may cause her to deliver anything that is still there.

There are also some medicinal herbs you can give to stimulate contractions. A search for "pregnancy herbs" on the search page should help. The herbs that are spoken of as "don't give this to a pregnant or nursing doe" are probably the ones you want. Look for the ones that stimulate contractions. :)

:clover:

Miss M, do you mean just putting her in with the buck and letting him attempt to breed her without actually "getting it done"? Or do mean to actually rebreed her?

I'll try that later today...

Thanks dayna, I paid a lot for this doe so this is a very frustrating and disappointing outcome. I was really counting on this litter.

Miss M":3854juj9 said:
There are also some medicinal herbs you can give to stimulate contractions. A search for "pregnancy herbs" on the search page should help.

I posted a link in Rabbit Links on titled Herbs that cause Contractions. They are called Emmenagogues. :)

posting.php?mode=edit&f=8&t=14843&p=162197

Teddy2511":3854juj9 said:
Miss M, do you mean just putting her in with the buck and letting him attempt to breed her without actually "getting it done"? Or do mean to actually rebreed her?

She means to let him breed her. Semen contains hormones called prostaglandins that help to soften the cervix.

I'm sorry you didn't get the litter you were hoping for. Better luck next time! :clover:

Okay, and if I actually let him breed her should I plan on getting a live litter? Or will she just pass both the unknown lump and the semen?

I was hoping that she would pass whatever it is so that I could breed her along with my other doe that didn't take next week.

I believe that if she lifts it will mean she has viable eggs which should result in a litter. But I personally have never tried this so I don't know.

I think your best bet would be to try the emmenagogues and hope that she aborts the (possibly) retained kit and then breed her again.

Thank you, MSD. I'll try some of the herbs you suggested a little later. Has anyone ever had success with herbs?

Also, do dry and fresh herbs work equally well? And if I use dried herbs, what quantities are needed for success?

Teddy2511":2llqb77s said:
Thank you, MSD. I'll try some of the herbs you suggested a little later. Has anyone ever had success with herbs?

Also, do dry and fresh herbs work equally well? And if I use dried herbs, what quantities are needed for success?

Usually dried herbs are stronger in their medicinal qualities. You could also brew a tea and give that instead of her water

Okay, I gave Lollie some dried herb mixed in with her feed but so far I haven't seen anything going on.

I was wondering though...
I palpated her again and still felt that lump, but out of curiosity I took out a different doe who had kindled 7 weeks ago and palpated her. I felt the same type of "lump"!
Kind of a solidish spot low on their bellies and kind of in the abdomen/uterus area. The thing that both does have in common is that they have both been previously bred and had successful litters.

Next I took out my maiden doe who has never had a litter and palpated her. No lump or solid spot.

I was wondering if anyone else has has ever palpated a proven doe and found something like this? Could it actually be her uterus, merely having changed from having litters? When I palpate the proven does their belly areas seem to feel more solid than the soft, squishy feel of an unproven junior.

Lollie acted bred, but could it have been a false pregnancy?

I am not good at palpating. Often does that are bred right before buying them don't take due to the stress of a new home and such. By now, she probably isn't pregnant and you should rebreed. Lavender is a great uterine stimulant and I used it on a doe that was having a difficult labor. She passed a retained but doa kit 24 hours later.

Best of luck...bummer she didn't take.<br /><br />__________ Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:46 pm __________<br /><br />I am not good at palpating. Often does that are bred right before buying them don't take due to the stress of a new home and such. By now, she probably isn't pregnant and you should rebreed. Lavender is a great uterine stimulant and I used it on a doe that was having a difficult labor. She passed a retained but doa kit 24 hours later.

Best of luck...bummer she didn't take.

Latest posts

Back