Possibly keeping?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offherrocker

Reaction score
Thinking about keeping this girl and breeding her back to dad to see what I get. She is about 13 weeks old in this pic. Lion head/ qt rex. What do you think?

Attachments

• 20230720_094748_HDR.jpg
    20230720_094748_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
No fan of line/inbreeding, but if you have the space and need an excuse to keep her. She is cute, but that is fairly standard for bunnies.
Just think on what you are looking for in her or what you want to know about the dad. Other than that, is she build correctly and healthy?

I am still learning, but I THINK so. She's definitely got more fluff than both parents, and pretty sure she was the one with double mane. The other one her color has short hair. She's pretty good size compared to the rest of her litter....but I need to weigh her. It could be the fluff making her look bigger.

If you have a plan for culls that have quality of life issues (bad teeth, joint or eye issues, things like that) then go ahead and line breed her, but plan to use an unrelated buck for her offspring, assuming you get keepers. If the offspring are not steller but still pet quality then you know, and do not have to repeat the breeding. If you get actual defects though, you need to know that you can euthanize them, or that someone will do it for you. This is true with any breeding but doubly true of line breeding. I have a hungry dog that will eat my meat rabbit mistakes, but if you are ethically opposed to any euthanasia at all, I would hesitate.

EDIT for clarification: The dog gets the dressed carcass, NOT a live rabbit. I perform the euthanasia, not the dog!

Latest posts

Back