possible tort in litter

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueHaven

Reaction score
If I have a tort pop up in a chocolate rex litter, is it a major problem? Will the siblings in the litter that are chocolate and otter carry the tort gene as well? Can I breed it out of the line, by using a different buck with this doe? I am getting some flack from people about there being a tort in this litter. Is it a major problem? Its not anywhere on the pedigree, but how would I ever know if there was a tort in one of the other rabbits litters if it was just not spoken of? Some are still telling me it could be a lynx but how I would tell, I would never know. I have seen pictures of both that look very much like it. I just want to know if I can breed it out.

No one wants torts mixed with otters as it creates the non showable colour "fox" AKA "totter"

If you get a tort then both parents have the non-extension gene and statistically 50% of the non torts in the litter could secretly carry it

So If I switch bucks to ones without the none extension, I should be able to produce chocolates that don't carry it, right? How do you know if a rabbit carries it? Is there any way to tell? Is breeding a litter the only way to tell? I would think it would be. How the heck do you ever know what you are actually breeding till you breed? Seems if there were torts in that does litters before I bought her, a breeder may just not tell you. I can see that pedigrees don't tell you everything, that's for sure.

This doe only carries all chocolate and two lilacs all the way back on her pedigree.
The buck was a choc otter, and has mostly chocolate with two black (one otter) and two lilac grand parents.
Just where does the tort color come from? To bad for this doe, her coat is going to be really nice. I guess I will either just breed meat with her, or eat her.

If the buck doesn't carry non extension then you won't get torts but the doe is still a carrier and will pass the gene to half her kits

Because pedigrees only show parents and grand parents and great grand parents you have no idea if they produced any odd coloured kits and/or what recessive genes they secretly carry.

And, of course, there is the chance the pedigree was fudged or accidentally mis-labeled such as a chocolate tort was mistaken for a chocolate :groooan:

I had an American Chinchilla doe from show bloodlines and grand champions who only had chinchilla in her pedigree 4 generations back and yet she was recessive for self, chocolate, REW and non-extension :shock: it happens :shrug:

You'll have to test breed to make sure it's not there. Best, imo, to test breed with a ee, if possible, so you will have a high chance to get some if your doe carries. I have some Satins who are 4 generation pure chocolate and blacks who have managed to carry non-extension, steel, sable and chinchilla, all that way without expressing it. Test breeding is the only way to be sure but it's worth it to not send out that stuff into other show breeders lines. But yes you can breed it out if you test.

Latest posts

Back