Possible change of plans?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which should I do?

• Stick with original plan and eat the food costs

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Buy the doe, find another mature doe and buck and produce sooner.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Desolim

Reaction score
So, I had planned on picking up my six-week buck next weekend and my does the week after.
The does were going to come from a breeder I know, but due to a divorce, he's having to downsize. This includes the sister of the chinchilla doe whose babies I was going to purchase.
My main reason for wanting to buy the babies was to get them used to handling and because I'm a bit wary with buying mature breeding stock from other people.
However, I know this guy and how he keeps his animals, so I'm not worried about him selling me a sick rabbit.

On one hand, I will be closer to producing and won't be so in the hole with money spent on food, since I not going to be waiting several months before they are old enough to breed.
I'm also new to rabbits, and so maybe starting with older stock would be better.
On the other hand, I will have to find another doe I like, as well as a mature buck if I go this route, instead of buying babies and waiting for them to grow.

I need advice from more experienced people xD <br /><br /> __________ Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:34 am __________ <br /><br /> He has a few other does for sale, there was one that I kind of liked, I didn't get a good look at her. So if I were to go that route, I would only be looking for a buck.

So many questions! So many ways you can go! Basically, with rabbits, you do the best you can with the resources you have, hope for the best and be prepared to do better as you learn more. Can you buy the mature doe already bred to an unrelated buck? (The young buck you are getting is unrelated, correct?)

Get paperwork-pedigrees on everything and keep it organized, copied and safe....that's my best advice to anyone starting out.

On the other hand, I will have to find another doe I like, as well as a mature buck if I go this route, instead of buying babies and waiting for them to grow
Why?

Contrary to what the House Rabbit Society and PETA want the public to believe - inbreeding is NOT a problem in livestock if you "keep the best and eat the rest"

In pets species it is a problem because many "backyard breeders" cross poor specimens to "just have one litter", puppy mills breed any sorry excuse for a dog until it drops dead and churns out hundreds of crappy puppies in the process and people want the weird and sickly to "save" them and don't eat any and actually get pissy at the kill shelters who frugally dispose of these rejects when their owners don't want them anymore and have the gall to cheer about dogs who've been in a pound for SIX YEARS until they get adopted like its a good thing :groooan:

I just feel sorry for that dog who was in prison for half of its life

Rant over :mrgreen:

Thank you for the reply, but inbreeding isn't the problem ^^(I bred rats for pets and snake food, inbreeding can be a great tool when used correctly).

The does and buck I originally planned on using are only 6 weeks old and so I wouldn't be cutting down on my feeding costs if I wait for them to be breeding age before breeding the mature doe from my cage-guy(the one downsizing).

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, sorry! :lol:

I wish I was! He's keeping her sister, she threw a litter of nine on her first try so I have high hopes for her sister(or babies, if I go that route). He doesn't have any large bucks for sale, all of the ones he's letting go are dwarfs(if I wasn't waiting a year or so, I'd jump on his mini rexes, most gorgeous ones I've ever seen!

So yeah, he has another doe I might consider but that still leaves me searching for an adult buck from someone reputable.

Desolim":7w4pcqav said:
Maybe I wasn't clear enough, sorry! :lol:

I wish I was! He's keeping her sister, she threw a litter of nine on her first try so I have high hopes for her sister(or babies, if I go that route). He doesn't have any large bucks for sale, all of the ones he's letting go are dwarfs(if I wasn't waiting a year or so, I'd jump on his mini rexes, most gorgeous ones I've ever seen!

So yeah, he has another doe I might consider but that still leaves me searching for an adult buck from someone reputable.

Where are you located? I know one of our members is looking for a nice Mini Rex buck

Norman, OK.

And none of this ended up mattering because while racked with indecision, someone came along and bought her xD

Welp, that made that decision easy xD

I loved the rant though Dood. ;)

When I look at the yearly numbers of euthanized animals in some US cities, Philadelphia for example. It's just staggering.

No-kill shelters here mostly exist so that people can feel better about throwing their pets away. :evil:

Desolim":1mp7cgoj said:
Norman, OK.

And none of this ended up mattering because while racked with indecision, someone came along and bought her xD

Yeah, that would be too far unless someone from there is planning to attend the OSRBA this weekend. Funny how these things work themselves out sometimes ;) <br /><br /> __________ Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:20 am __________ <br /><br /> Being a person who, as I've said in the past, defines herself as an 'animal rights activist', it's usually really difficult, if not downright impossible, to make someone understand that ending an animal's life is often the most humane thing you can do. And (forgive the bad grammar) I don't mean just in the cases of animals that are terminally ill or suffering, but animals - as many of you have talked about - who will have a really sucky life if you allow them continue on just due to the incredible likelihood that they will not be well cared for if you let them continue on.

Is it 'playing God'? Well, yes it is... but we're already doing that when we accept responsibility for a fellow creature.

Desolim":ufcaheuw said:

Dang! Lol!

Back