Popples at last! *now with pic*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UK-backyardbunnies

Reaction score
Seven babies in the nest today - no sign of nesting last thing last night. She's obviously a sneaky mum!

We'll have to wait to see who Dad is though :roll:

:congratulations:

I guess she worked in secret all night long just to surprise you! :)

Let us know when you solve the mystery of who the daddy is.

Yes they're my first. They should be rex x silver marten, until I discovered that the other silver marten sister was a silver marten buck (they were at that time in a colony).
Would two of them being a different colour indicate a cross? I would expect pure silver martens to all be the same colour?

I look at Marshmellows popples whenever I can!
they are 8 days, and very cute. (I did not look at them as much when they looked like little rats)

UK-backyardbunnies":1xat66cv said:
So...how often am I allowed to peek at them? ;)

I handle the kits daily and check the condition of the nestbox. In warm months, it is a good idea to check twice daily so you can remove any dead kits promptly.

Early handling makes for nice tame rabbits when they grow up, so don't be afraid to handle them... at least, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it! :mrgreen: Any excuse to snuggle a popple! :roll:

I always give my does a treat when I check the kits in those first few days so they associate good things with having their kits checked.

I bring my kits in and kiss all over them. I'm sure they recognize my scent by the time they open there eyes.

I had another cuddle, they're not just pink/grey - some are solid, some have pale bellies, all very interesting...

TheLittleBunny10":2i9x35zb said:
(I did not look at them as much when they looked like little rats)

I love the nekkid bunny stage. And it sure is easier to try to sex them before that fur grows in, but harder to tell color.

Oh I'm not even attempting to sex them!
There's one runty one, I presume I needn't worry as long as it has a full belly and is as active as the others?

Attachments

• DSCI0095.JPG
    DSCI0095.JPG
    496.2 KB · Views: 170
They are really cute!

I would not worry about the runt. Just keep an eye on it. Some of the runts in my past litters have actually grown to be bigger than their brothers and sisters!

:congratulations:
They are adorable! :D

Heritage Homestead":2bo1ir9s said:
I would not worry about the runt. Just keep an eye on it. Some of the runts in my past litters have actually grown to be bigger than their brothers and sisters!
I agree, as long as you make sure that the runt is still getting a "milk tummy" I wouldn't worry. The runt in one of my litters last fall did stay smaller than the rest for some time, but eventually she surpassed almost all of them in weight!

So, who knows colour genetics? I have 3 solids (black to grey) and four with white bellies/ears - of which only two have the white flecks I'd expect from a silver marten...

Attachments

• DSCI0104.JPG
    DSCI0104.JPG
    404 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCI0103.JPG
    DSCI0103.JPG
    438.6 KB · Views: 149

Latest posts

Back