Plastic Drop pans

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can, avoid the TSC ones. They get brittle and break very easily. Not well made.

Marinea":19cdbhip said:
If you can, avoid the TSC ones. They get brittle and break very easily. Not well made.
That's good to know!! I was thinking of getting some for my lower cages, but I guess I'll pass on those!! Thanks Marinea!

In addition, the TSC ones are hard to clean. Go with Dura trays, they're well built and sturdy not to mention smooth bottoms without all the ribbing, etc of the TSC ones.

Lastfling":25hl6fmb said:
In addition, the TSC ones are hard to clean. Go with Dura trays, they're well built and sturdy not to mention smooth bottoms without all the ribbing, etc of the TSC ones.
It's not sounding like TSC is too good for anything dealing with rabbits!! There's a feed store here that I hope will be better!!

I don't use trays, but on occasion I help clean the barn of a friend that does. She has some of the TSC pans and they are a royal pain to clean compared to the smooth bottomed ones.

Save yourself the time and frustration and buy the better quality trays.

Just to say....

I do have the TSC pans. They're not too bad. Of course, I haven't had mine very long, they've been indoors and I empty them regularly. I DO wish they had a nice smooth surface, but it doesn't take much effort to dump them in the garden, then spray them off. They were cheap. :p

Right now, I'm more annoyed with my wonderful pet rabbits who have both decided to abuse their condos. :evil: :(

My buck wants his potty corner on the OTHER side of the condo, which means I have to take the whole darned thing apart so I can put his potty box 'over there' instead. My doe was using her litter box... until she decided to stuff it full of hay and now just goes all over the darned condo. :roll:

Grrrrrrr

Syberchick70":3nqxrq3y said:
Just to say....

I do have the TSC pans. They're not too bad.

You have a point- with just a few buns like you have, they aren't a big deal. But when you have close to a hundred cages in a barn, the extra time really adds up.

MamaSheepdog":2yljyt51 said:
Syberchick70":2yljyt51 said:
Just to say....

I do have the TSC pans. They're not too bad.

You have a point- with just a few buns like you have, they aren't a big deal. But when you have close to a hundred cages in a barn, the extra time really adds up.

Oh no doubt... with a lot of rabbits you have to do everything you can to shave off expenses and labor time :)

This is why as soon as I gain access to a brake, I'm going to make all of my own pans out of metal.
And yes, I know, everyone wants to criticise me and say, metal will rust. Yes, steel will rust, aluminum won't. And if aluminium is too pricey, i can still use steel, and paint it, or just rinse them out and let them slowly rust over 5 or 6 years, then make new ones.

We used 24" aluminum flashing we had left over when making our first slant boards. It is holding up very well. We are now using other materials because of the cost of the flashing. Use what you have or what you can make over.

*says the repurposing queen*

Exactly! To make a 24 by 24 pan, 2 inches deep, with a half inch lip (to avoid cuts and snags) requires 29 by 29 piece of metal. I found a source for the heavier gushed metal valley flashing that comes in a roll, 36 inch by 50 foot for $140.
Once cutting 29 inches off for a few pans, that leaves 7 inch strip. Bend a half inch lip on either side, and I have 6 inch urine guards.

Thanks so much guys! I'll look into the Dura trays, because where I live, there's no TSC store. The tray I need will be outdoors, so I'd rather have plastic, and an easy cleaner. ;) Do you think I'd be able to find any trays at say a Home Depot, or Ranch and Home, or a feed and supply store? I'd rather not have to order.....where do you guys get the Dura trays?

I also started with the Tractor Supply pans and wish I hadn't. They are now just over one year old and look like they came from Noah's ark. They warp and distort and are of such thin flimsy material that it's hard to handle them without spilling as they distort under weight of contents. I have 4 of those and recently added two Duratrays and there is no comparison, Duratray is the way to go and costs only a couple of bucks more. I ordered mine from http://www.kammalop.com/cat.pdf. I got the 30x36" size and they were about $30 each but then there is shipping also. Sometime before next winter I'll replace the remaining TSC pans with Duratrays.

Yeah, my TSC pans are now used when I dust my chickens, or clip their wings. The pans are good "catch all's" ... unless it's for rabbits droppings under pens, lol.

Latest posts

Back