Pigeon w/broken wing

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystang89

Reaction score
Hey, so yesterday I bought some pigeons to start up my pigeonry..(it's a word) and in the process of getting them home one of them broke it's wing I think. It can't fly anyway. Does anyone know how I can fix it's wing so it can fly? I tried super glue and duck tape but for some reason it didn't work. I don't want it to starve to death and it's going to start getting cold soon so how can I get this little guy up and going so he makes it?

No knowing the exact nature of the injury, it is difficult to advise on how to treat it, but for many bird injuries they seem to heal just fine on their own if given a chance. I'd put the pigeon in a spare rabbit cage with food and water to limit how much it exerts itself. Keep it in a sheltered place like a shed or garage, or take it into the house. If it does not make progress over a few weeks, I would consider culling it.

Thanks Maggie, I've gone and done that now so we'll see how it is in the nextweek or so. It wasn't drooping its wing or anything so I wouldn't think it too bad.

Birds bones are hollow and when they break they don't heal right, usually. It's very very hard to set a wing correctly without x-rays.

That said, it can still be a great pigeon.

If you do decide to keep him, I would make steps around the aviary for him to up and around.
Birds do heal remarkably well, but with wing injuries, they often heal wrong or skewed. He may be able to get some sort of flight, but won't fly normal again. If it's important you home (fly) him, I would cull. But he could make a great 'pumper' (pigeon that raises other pigeons squabs). Since you won't know his 'skills' (how well of a homer he is) I wouldn't suggest breeding him (or you can for fun and see how the squabs are) but you can take advantage of the fact that he'll want to raise up squabs, and steal eggs from other birds and put them under him. They'll lay more eggs, so out of 2 pigeons you can get 4 squabs instead of 2.

Best of luck. I have a pigeon missing a toe, and his son has a genetically deformed toe. He was feral caught so I don't know if he lost the toe or what, but his son was born with this screwed toe. He also lost a good chunk of his wing and healed just fine. They're great birds, that are very hardy. But in this case yours wouldn't be able to be raced.

I think the pigeon should be fine with a broken wing. They're not big flyers anyways.

dmirza":1c20okzz said:
I think the pigeon should be fine with a broken wing. They're not big flyers anyways.
I'm sorry, not trying to be rude, but do you own pigeons? Homing pigeons are bred to fly hundreds of miles from home, or fly just a couple extremely fast. I have a female who won an 800mile race. Rollers were bred for their ability to roll (on the ground usually). And tumblers were bred for their flying ability to tumble out of the sky. All were bred, and are kept, for their flying abilities, or a variation of them (rolling / tumbling).

There's also tippler pigeons, who fly for just hours at a time. The record is 22hours flying

Rollers, tumblers and homers are both very popular, and Mystang has homers.

Pigeons absolutely are huge flyers. The only ones that wouldn't would be the fancy or meat breeds, like king pigeons or fantails. Even then, a lot of fancy breeds do fly quite a bit. There's only a few that I can think of that don't get around by flight.

Edit: specification

Just a quick update. I wanted to give it a bit to get better and see if it could fly but it isn't any better. I'll give it another week and if it isn't any better I'll cull. The have to fly up to the food and water and if it can't fly it won't make it anyway.

Latest posts

Back