Pics of the babies! :)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ears

Reaction score
Some people were asking me for pictures of my newest cuties so here they are: :D (They are both girls, and almost 8 weeks!)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Finnel: (Below)
image.jpg

Citrus: (Below)
image.jpg

Aww, what adorable names :) They are really, really cute. I want to get a newborn kit but I honestly wouldn't know how to care for it, unfortunately. :lol:

funnies50":1kvga0ly said:
I want to get a newborn kit but I honestly wouldn't know how to care for it, unfortunately.

You can not care for a new born, no one can, only the mother or a foster mother...Baby bunnies can't survive without their mother..Some have tried to raise orphaned babies with mixed results.Some live but most do not...They need the mothers milk until at least 4 weeks, most do not ween until 6 to 8 weeks. I have a doe who nursed for 9 weeks and would have done so longer if allowed.. :lol:

I have a doe who nursed for 9 weeks and would have done so longer if allowed.. :lol:

A couple of my does wean at 6 weeks, but I have one right now who is still nursing them at 8 weeks. Hilarious to watch. She is a first time accidental mom ( mis sexed one of her brothers and he got ahold of her in the grow out pen at 14 weeks) but I think I will keep her since she's doing such a good job. I discovered my mistake on butchering day, and decided to keep the girls for another month, just in case. One other also had a litter, but they were on the wire, and it was still below 0 here two months ago, so they didn't make it.

I had one doe (Mucky) who nursed a kit until 12 weeks(Sushi).

When his testicles started to descend, I had to say...enough is enough!!!

That's not even close to a baby anymore. :evil:

Newborn kits are like this:
heather feather to frett.JPG

Blind, hairless, and dependent on the rest of the litter and their mother's well constructed nest for warmth.

Early weaning can be a death sentence for rabbits, since they need exposure to the bacteria in their mother's digestive tract in order to gain the ability to process the tough foods they eat.
Baby rabbits get that beneficial bacteria from eating their mother's feces. It's really tricky for people to recreate that...even with probiotic powders or healthy cecotropes(special poop.)

It's best to just leave the baby with mom...to do it's yucky but necessary thing naturally...

Haha, well thanks for all the love guys! :) These two cuties are very bonded, and it's so cute to watch! :D
They are both for sale as well (if anyone is interested, I live in Tri-cities WA)

Do you guys screen your sales in any way? I find it hard sometimes to get the right person....there is someone interested in them, but I just don't know.... :? I've been e-mailing them trying to extract more info but they only reply with blunt very short answers. They are the only people that does want them both though, and I would like to sell them together since they are so bonded. :) They live like 2 hours away from me, in the most rabbit populated place, so I have no idea why they would want to drive that far to get two of my bunnies? I tried calling them, but they seemed very vague, about a pick up date, and there was a lot of media noise in the background.....they did say they have two hutches for them, one inside and one outside. They have never had rabbits before and have "read a little about them". Apparently they have chickens and turkeys and the reason they want rabbits is "you can't really have chickens and turkeys as pets." I guess I'm just trying to justify myself that they'll be ok...they just seem like they aren't really interested in learning more about rabbits...but I can't really say since I know so little. Opinions?

I would trust your instincts, Easy Ears. If you don't feel good about selling to them, then don't. :)

I'm sure you will find responsible buyers in time.

Definitely trust your instincts. I get lots of warning bells just from reading about the people interested in your pair.

I don't know how much you are asking, but I would ask at LEAST $50 for the pair, that will slow down people who may not be so interested in the welfare of the rabbits. Advertise them with lots of pictures in as many places as you can think of (facebook is great). Require pictures of the hutch where they will live.

Thanks guys. :) I decided I just didn't feel right about it, and thankfully got another good person interested. I was selling them for $25 dollars each, but found too many unwanted buyers. So I now sell for $35 each, and this seems to have really helped weed out the unwanted. ;) The two babies will now be leaving probably by the end of this week to a home that sounds much better. :) They will be introduced to a neutered male rabbit, in a large outdoor hutch. The woman wanted a companion for her 6 year old buck after his bonded partner recently died. She seems very nice, and has owned the bonded pair for 7 years. Thankfully she seems very concerned for their wellbeing as well, for she asked to wait an pick them up until the heat dies down here (It's been a steady 80 degrees Fahrenheit but this week has shot up into he 100's!) she said she didn't want to stress them out by the rehoming, and have the heat make it worse. :) Thanks for your helpful advice!

Below are pics of the two bonded cuties I took just this morning. :lol: Finnel is the one stretched out. And Citrus the other. ;)

image.jpg

image.jpg

UPDATE:
They both went to the spectacular home I talked about above, where they are being spoiled and well taken care of. :) Thanks guys for your advice!! :)

Back