Picking up a trio of NZW tomorrow

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumma

Reaction score
I'm going to pick up my rabbits tomorrow. I'm so excited to finally get this started.

I'm getting a trio of NZW's from a guy that works at my local coop feed store. I was hoping to get a californian as well but there aren't any available. So I guess I'll get started with the NZW and grab a californian later on.

He said they are quite young(around 5lbs) and aren't breeding age yet, but I figured that would be fine as it would give me a chance to get used them(I've never owned rabbits before).

Any advice on how best to introduce them to their new environment and get them acquainted with me? Anything I should put in the cage right away(toys, hay, straw, salt licks) or is it better to leave it empty? I also have a watering system with the tubes and watering nipples, is there anything special I should do to let the rabbits know where to get water from?

Any tips would be appreciated
Thanks

If you are feeding pellets, all that is needed in addition is water and hay, especially to start. Grass hay is extremely good for preventing GI disturbances.

Minimize stress for the rabbits, particularly in the first week or two. Moving home is enough of stress without having a drastic change of food, a different way of getting water etc. Ask the seller what the rabbits have been accustomed to and make changes slowly.

A toy or two is not a bad idea. The occasional bit of a healthy treat will help them to trust you and look forward to seeing you. A small cube of air-dried whole grain bread, a leaf or two of dandelion, plantain or clover, a small slice of apple... any of these will make you popular with the buns. :)

I got them!!!!

Alright the rabbits are home safe and sound in their new home. Brand new bag of rabbit pellets, a bale of hay. And a bag of timothy/clover seed to plant in the back yard.

I was able to pick them up without too much fuss. I don't think they cared for it too much. I gave them a big scoop of food and a handful of hay, laid out some cardboard squares for resting pads. They started eating right away but didn't know/have any interest in the water nipples. I got concerned that they might now know how to use them so I put in some ceramic dishes with water and they started drinking from them.
Here's the buck Cheeseburger aka "The Big Cheese" or "BigMac Daddy"
207220_10150558093790578_654665577_18018087_3028326_n.jpg

Here are the 2 does(no names yet)
216539_10150558091740578_654665577_18018069_1436558_n.jpg
215015_10150558092495578_654665577_18018080_7399905_n.jpg

Any suggestions on how to get them interested in the water nipples? I keep going to the cages and putting my finger on them to let water drip out in hopes that they will see the water and then remember later.

One of the does came over when I went out to visit and I put my finger on the spout to release water and she sniffed my finger a bit but didn't have any interest in the water. So we'll have to see how this goes. I'm going to let them run out of water for a bit and see if that forces them to have to "look" for it.

You may have to offer them a crock of water to keep them hydrated until they figure it out. I've heard of people putting a small smear of peanut butter on the spout to encourage them to investigate but I don't know how well it works.

MaggieJ":2dc8xfxr said:
You may have to offer them a crock of water to keep them hydrated until they figure it out. I've heard of people putting a small smear of peanut butter on the spout to encourage them to investigate but I don't know how well it works.

I was thinking about trying to balance a pellet of food on it to try to entice them. But PB sounds better. I can give it a try. I think the trick is getting them to understand that water comes form that metal thing.

Thank for the tip.

Back