Pedigrees?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lopsided

Reaction score
Okay so I am interested in possibly registering one or both of my rabbits. How do I do this? Do they have to be purebred? Or would I be better off purchasing a pedigreed rabbit?

Sorry if I may seem stupid about these things. I have no experience whatsoever with pedigrees.

Miss M":10cfqsbl said:
Lopsided":10cfqsbl said:
Sorry if I may seem stupid about these things. I have no experience whatsoever with pedigrees.
Have you seen some of the questions I've posted lately? :p

No I have not. I will go check them out now.

Only rabbits that meet their breeds Standard of Perfection can be registered with ARBA so they usually must be purebred.

Unlike most other breed registries, rabbits with two registered parents are not automatically registered and they must be inspected after 6 months old to be certain they good examples of their breed.

More info - https://www.arba.net/registrars.htm

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to register your rabbits?

Thank you for all the answers!

Dood":kswv6hbm said:
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to register your rabbits?

I was just doing some research and I wanted to see if I could try and get my rabbits registered so that I could sell their kits at a higher price. I might as well just purchase an already pedigreed rabbit.

You could, if your rabbits conform to standard for their breed, breed out 3 generations to get the needed pedigree since it sounds like they don't. After that, they could be registered once they meet the criteria for registration (see the register link already posted). ALL listed on a three generation pedigree MUST have weights, color, ear number, and name (call and breeder prefix even if its just the breeder prefix and tattoo number for the call name).

Back