Pedigree question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dotson83

Reaction score
I am new to breeding rabbits. We recently got two NZ Reds (buck and doe). They came with predigree papers so I was looking at how to get them registered but it looks like I have a bit of an issue from what I've read. I hope I can get some clarification.

The doe has really good records. For 3 generations back I have all details about her line including weight, color etc.

The problem is the buck.... His pedigree only has Type and ear number. There is no mention of color (other than in the type), weight or anything else. Does this mean I can't get him registered? What parts of a pedigree are absolutely required?

Thanks for the help!

From the ARBA site - https://www.arba.net/faq.htm#Q5
How do I register my rabbits or cavies?

In order to register your rabbits or cavies, you must be a member of the ARBA. The rabbit or cavy must be at least 6 months of age, and you must have a 3 generation pedigree for the animal being registered. The pedigree must show the name and/or ear number, weight, and variety of the parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents (3 generations) of the animal being registered. (All ancestors in the 3 generations MUST be of the same breed as the animal being registered.) A licensed Registrar for the species must examine the animal and fill out an application for registration, which is sent to the ARBA office. The information for the registered animal is then entered into our computer system which will create a record of that animal for all time. A certificate of registration for the animal is then sent to you, the owner. Registration fee for a rabbit or cavy is $6.00 per animal.

Rabbits are a bit different than any other animal as far as registration goes. In order to register your rabbits, they must first earn "legs"; you need three to be eligible for registration. These are received from winning Best of Variety, Best of Breed, Best Opposite of Variety/Breed, or Best of Show. There must be no less than five animals from at least three different breeders at that show in order to get a leg. A rabbit has to earn at least one of the three legs as a senior. Once you have all of that then you present your rabbit to a registrar and they look at it to ensure that it is of appropriate quality and represents the breed according to the Standard of Perfection. Definitely a bit more involved than the AKC or any other livestock organization.

The rabbit does not need to have won any "legs" in order to be registered. The only time the winning of legs comes into play is when applying for A Grand Champion certificate. In order to do that the rabbit has to be registered and have won 3 legs (one of which must be won as a senior)

Latest posts

Back